Rockland County, NY - Your Tried & True,

This is my 1st food related post. Where in Rockland County do you really enjoy eating and consider yourself a regular. Our family favorites are:
O’lar in Piermont
Bailey’s in Blauvelt
The Greek Village in Northvale NJ (on MY border)
Fortune Garden in Nanuet

I always enjoy Restaurant X. And I loved it back in the day when it was just Bully Boy!

Hi Michele, with the exception of Bailey’s we have not had a chance to try any of your recommendations yet.
We did however stop into Rockland Bakery on Sunday for an onion rye and sourdough … I prefer a more substantial exterior/ crust however the bread is really delicious in spite of this… All I want to do every minute of the day is to eat sourdough toast…so so good. Today I had it for breakfast with some good cheddar and jam.

We also stopped into off the hook a takeout fish and chicken place in Haverstraw…my DH food nemesis does not eat fish so I ordered a small order of wings…they come attached but I was asked If I preferred them hacked … they were freshly seasoned,Cajun flavors, and coated and fried and really good with the addition of a bit of salt… the owner, a retired detective and the rest of the staff were so friendly we had a blast chatting it up while I waited for my order. I would like to go back to try an oyster po boy or possibly the porgy.

1 Like

I’ve got to try that place!

Ask them what they recommend that day … So, so nice
Bonus… less than five minutes from Aldi

Another vote for Restaurant X, and I also like Freelance Cafe in Piermont (also owned by Peter Kelly). Buy gift cards for 20% off at Costco. for any of the Xaviar’s places.

We love Freelance but tend to go when it’s warmer out. We have not been in a while now but waiting on the line can be fun with the right people around and not in the cold!!

Wow - I will do that!!

Yeah, the no reservations thing at Freelance is a pain. We went for lunch last Valentines Day, they offered a price fixed menu for $45 ($65 for dinner) and took reservations. It was great, with almost the same menu as they had for dinner (missing a couple of entrees). This year because VD was a Sunday, they were charging $65 all day so we didn’t go. Plus with the frigid temps, I had little interest in going out.

The other time we went recently we got there at 5:30 on a Friday so we didn’t have a wait.

Sunday we had a quick lunch at the Filling Station in West Haverstraw.
The burgers, dogs and fries were good as usual l … They told us they are
looking for a location in Westchester to open their next store :slight_smile:

You know I have a weakness for fries and those look great. :stuck_out_tongue:

Great news! Hope it is closer to mid-Westchester that Shake Shack in Cross County.

1 Like

I know there are some fans here … As reported by the Journal news

And I’m a Peter Kelly fan. This is sad news - we were just thinking of doing a Freelance run. End of an era indeed. He is such a nice man. I’m glad he is keeping his other two!! Thanks for the article.

I hope the new owner will be able to maintain both dining rooms. Multiple memories from both…

Help cover Hungry Onion's costs when you shop at Amazon!

Honghe Hani Rice Terraces, Yuanyang County, Yunnan
Credit: inkelv1122, Flickr