Roasted tomatoes! How to make, store, and use.

OT some what…but if you an excess of fresh vegetables of any kind, please consider donating to you local food bank. We have given some tomatoes and CSA items we know we won’t use.
We did call ahead to be sure they would accept them.

3 Likes

Tha l you. I know my CSA will donate a box directly, but last tired to do it locally it didn’t work out. Haven’t it tried it this year.

“Tha l you. I know my CSA will donate a box directly, but last tired to do it locally it didn’t work out. Haven’t it tried it this year.”

Means

Thank you. I know my CSA will donate a box directly, but last time I tried to do it locally it didn’t work out. Haven’t tried it this year.

1 Like

This one calls itself conserva.

1 Like

I’m finding it hard to peel awkwardly shaped tomatoes before roasting, and that the peels come off much easier after.

2 Likes

@shrinkrap - you may even find it easier to scald the tomatoes and peel before roasting. Very fast and easy!

Thank you! I do that with the plums, but some of these beefsteaks are so catfaced, lumpy and craggy, I find it harder to do.

Some of these recipes leave the skin on for roasting, and one mentioned it was really easy to pull the skins off after. It saves me some water, and a step or two, and sometimes every step counts.

I just bought this “pepper roaster” so I’m going to see if I can roast tomatoes in it too.

2440-Santa_Fe_School_of_Cooking_Grill-Medium

5 Likes

Latest batch. Scalded, peeled, roasted with a bit of salt, garlic, and some “meh” olive oil at 250 for about 2.5 hours. These are mostly Dwarf Purple Heart, and Dwarf Sweet Almandine. Also a few Dwarf Secret Sauce, riper than in the first picture.

6 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

This one says they’ll keep for a month!

Any opinions on how long not dry tomatoes roasted with oil, garlic and herbs will keep?

I have been very successful in roasting tomatoes of all kinds to a lovely almost confiture texture. I season them with salt, pepper, EVOO, garlic and fresh thyme.
And then it goes down hill. I put them in glass containers with tight fitting lids and refrigerate. They keep for a week or so then mold. And are tossed.
They freeze well, but I have little luck keeping them as a ready refrigerator condiment.

2 Likes

I would suggest covering them with a layer of olive oil, when they’re refrigerated, ensuring all tomatoes and flavorings are submerged. The excess oil can be used in vinaigrette’s or for sautéing @shrinkrap.

2 Likes

That has been my experience as well. I always think I will eat them quickly, but often end up tossing some. I am going to freeze some preemptively this time.

Thank you! Perhaps I have not been diligent about keeping them submerged… Vacuum sealed bags have served a similar purpose for me when making preserved lessons. I will try that… I’ve been meaning to try a vinagrette. I am also making tomato shrub, which is said to work well in vinagrette too, and I’ve kept those successfully for a year!

The confit cherry tomato. They taste awesome, but I think they still have quite a bit of moisture in them, making them prone to spoilage

Half done

Full done

2 Likes
1 Like

Gjelina’s Tomato Confit

" Remove the thyme stems and then transfer everything to a glass storage container. Allow to cool, then seal up the container and store in the refrigerator for 3-4 weeks. Note: As long as the tomatoes are submerged in the oil, they should last for quite a while. I sometimes freeze the tomato confit if we’re going out of town."

1 Like

Yesterday’s weather was rainy and raw, so I decided to crank up the oven for a roasted tomato salsa. A pile of plum tomatoes had come my way thanks to the unexpected generosity of a gardener nearby.

The result tastes like a better, fresher version of the Muir Glen fire-roasted tomatoes with chiles.

I adapted an old roast tomato sauce recipe from awesome food writer Sheryl Julian (The Boston Globe) for this salsa.

Could not have been easier: Drizzle of olive oil in a 14-inch baking dish, thick slices of red onion on bottom on dish, about 16 washed, cored plum tomatoes over that, 2 whole chile peppers of my choice tucked in, plus 2 garlic scapes. Salt and more olive oil drizzled on top. Dish went into a 425 F oven for about an hour. I used tongs to flip over the tomatoes and chiles at the halfway point.

When the tomatoes were roasted to my liking, I put the baking dish on the stovetop and covered it with a roasting pan to trap steam. I peeled and chopped the chiles and tomatoes when cool enough to handle. Chopped up the roasted onion slices, too.

Extra liquid that remained went into a jar. I’ll use those juices to flavor a soup or pasta later this week. Elixir!

I’ll add lime and maybe cumin when we use this as salsa. Last night I used a little as a scant layer of spicy sauce on a pizza, because I held back on this final seasoning.

P.S. You could halve and deseed the tomatoes before roasting if you want a seedless salsa. I have never done that, so keep an eye on the cooking time because roasting might not take as long.

5 Likes

@Lambchop and @pilgrim here is roasred (“confit”) tomatoes, one week in a vacuum sealed bag, and in a jar with olive oil. Apparently not as submerged as I’d hoped, but still no evidrnce of fungus or mold.

J.jpeg)

1 Like