Roasted tomatoes! How to make, store, and use.

Here are some paste tomatoes that I peeled and roasted in olive oil and garlic at 250 f. A little salt, pepper, pinch of sugar.

@Auspicious, what is your technique for canning roasted tomatoes? Seems like they they’d need to have added liquid.

4 Likes

thanks for advice
I will not roast in the dehydrator then.

An older link here talks about sun dried tomatoes superior than machine dried ones.

2 Likes

It looks like some kind of robot. I’d be worried about it coming to life and trying to dehydrate me while I’m sleeping.

1 Like

Hi shrinkrap,

Your tomatoes look lovely. I use https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/usda/GUIDE03_HomeCan_rev0715.pdf . I usually add water as the product seems to have a greasy mouthfeel adding oil. Hot pack. YMMV.

1 Like

Naf,

Do you mean “Sun dried tomatoes” soaked in Italian extra virgin olive oil ?

Delicious on a pizza or in a salad or paired with mozzarella di bufala and Genovese Basil, a Caprese Salad or with Buratta di Bufala in a Caprese Salad.

Balsamic vinegar I use is: Valerio Bellini, Acetaia Ferretti - Corradini
Reggio Emilia
www.passionebalsamica.it

The Evoo, I am extremely fond of is: Poggio Grimodi
Azienda Agrícola Poggio Grimoldi
Caronia, Sicilia
www.poggiogrimodi.it

2 Likes

@Auspicious; thank you!

Here are some Principe Borghese sun-drying, at least in principal.

2 Likes

Nice. Have you tried aluminum foil or another reflector under your grate? That might be helpful.

1 Like

I suppose. It is 105 right now. I’m good. Maybe later.

I am at it again. Focusing on the small Maglia Rosa and Principe Borghese right now. In addition to cutting in half, I think longitude on one, latitude on the other, sprinkled salt, pepper, garlic (I think powder), and a spritz of olive oil. So I figure I’ll be doing these in a low oven vs outside.

2 Likes

Your tomatoes look fantastic. I have made oven-dried tomatoes a few times, usually with the last cherry tomatoes at the end of the season. We eat them quickly at our house so I can’t vouch for how well, or how long, you might store them. Yum.

1 Like

Thank you @tomatotomato.

Two hours on 250f.

6 Likes

OT some what…but if you an excess of fresh vegetables of any kind, please consider donating to you local food bank. We have given some tomatoes and CSA items we know we won’t use.
We did call ahead to be sure they would accept them.

3 Likes

Tha l you. I know my CSA will donate a box directly, but last tired to do it locally it didn’t work out. Haven’t it tried it this year.

“Tha l you. I know my CSA will donate a box directly, but last tired to do it locally it didn’t work out. Haven’t it tried it this year.”

Means

Thank you. I know my CSA will donate a box directly, but last time I tried to do it locally it didn’t work out. Haven’t tried it this year.

1 Like

This one calls itself conserva.

1 Like

I’m finding it hard to peel awkwardly shaped tomatoes before roasting, and that the peels come off much easier after.

2 Likes

@shrinkrap - you may even find it easier to scald the tomatoes and peel before roasting. Very fast and easy!

Thank you! I do that with the plums, but some of these beefsteaks are so catfaced, lumpy and craggy, I find it harder to do.

Some of these recipes leave the skin on for roasting, and one mentioned it was really easy to pull the skins off after. It saves me some water, and a step or two, and sometimes every step counts.

I just bought this “pepper roaster” so I’m going to see if I can roast tomatoes in it too.

2440-Santa_Fe_School_of_Cooking_Grill-Medium

5 Likes

Latest batch. Scalded, peeled, roasted with a bit of salt, garlic, and some “meh” olive oil at 250 for about 2.5 hours. These are mostly Dwarf Purple Heart, and Dwarf Sweet Almandine. Also a few Dwarf Secret Sauce, riper than in the first picture.

6 Likes