Road Trip - Houston to Fort Collins - Santa Fe

I didn’t do much research on places to eat in SF - I just relied on finlero’s excellent thread. As it turned out, my hotel was only a couple of blocks from Plaza Cafe Southside and the desk clerk recommended it also, especially raving about those fish tacos.

But I was a tourist! And I wanted to experience some of the iconic local foods, so a Green Chile Cheeseburger it was. It was cooked a little past what I ordered (medium rare) but it was very good.

My side was the Charro Bean Soup.

The staff was very friendly, the service excellent. I asked the waiter about breakfast and told him I’d be back.

1 Like

That was going to be my only evening meal in Santa Fe on the way up so La Choza was designated for the return trip. And the next morning, I decided to forego breakfast and go to Dr. Field Good’s Kitchen for their signature sandwich.

It’s called the New Mexican on the menu, green chile rubbed and smoked pulled pork served on a bun baked by Dr. Field Goods Bakery, Butcher Shop and Deli, about 50 paces away in the same shopping center, topped with sharp cheddar, green chile and apple jicama slaw, served with Field Good potatoes. After just one bite I began to regret I wasn’t going to be staying around to sample a lot more of this menu. This was an excellent sandwich.

I also had the house-made ginger ale - muddled ginger, fresh lemon juice, simple syrup and soda water. It was too sweet for my taste.

Santa Fe bills itself as a very friendly city and the staff here was even friendlier than at Plaza. I’m sure if I lived here (or visited again), I spend more time at both these places.

After a long and somewhat stressful week, I decided to bypass New Mexico on the return trip and took a more direct route home, so I didn’t get to La Choza (and didn’t get to sample any Green Chile Stew, either. Come to think of it, I wouldn’t mind trying a few more iterations of the Green Chile Cheeseburger, and, and, and…).

Are you on your way to Ft.Collins or on the way back?

The trip was a couple of weeks ago. I’m home.

1 Like