RIP Chowhound

Just to add that there seem to be 3 different archives for CH posts & this probably happened accidentally. If you go into the wayback machine (web.archive.org) & search the word “chowhound”, you will get several options: on http://chowhound.chow.com/boards, you will get a different archive than if you search for http://chowhound.com/ without the “chow”. And there seems to be one that’s just chow.com (although that one might just redirect you to the chowhound.com one). At any rate, two of them (chowhound.com & the one that’s only chow.com) get a timeline that starts with 1999 (before it became chow & when some of us were young) so you might think that you’re getting more but, if you compare the 3, you’ll also notice that the 2008-present archives aren’t the same in each so, unless something happens to combine the archives, you might want to hunt thru them all if you’re looking for old posts/threads. Again, these are not google searches – you need to go to web.archive.org and put the word “chowhound” into their search box. Was I clear? I’m not sure. Ahh, the price of memories.

3 Likes

And, talking about going down rabbit holes: when checking my facts on the above, I wound up reading some realllllly long “Outer Borough” posts from early 2001 NYC. Brooklyn was just beginning to get some good restaurants and boy, did we write a lot.

4 Likes

I saw briefly a post by Melanie to do so while I was working through my search process on the IWM. Thank you, Melanie! :heart:

1 Like

And seeing the old old old OLD format of CH in its early incarnation(s) is sort of nostalgic as well. Same for my initial posts back in Nov. 2001 on the Boston area board.

It’s back! Sort of. A group called Static Media relaunched it, this month I think. Same logo, but no discussion forums. Static owns a bunch of other food-related sites, including Tasting Table, and sites for gamers and movie fans.

3 Likes

who needs it? the non-discussion forum content of the last version of chowhound was pretty lowquality, and there are just too many sources of mediocre info out there .

4 Likes

Zergnet is like spam all over every webpage. Ugh.

2 Likes

It looks as if they’ve just bought the brand, and it’s unclear why, if it’s just going to be editorial content that’s similar in theme to that of their several other existing food-focused properties.

1 Like

Chowhound is alive again minus the message boards. Ha—- it’s a mix of reposted “chow.com” style articles + new material. It got bought by Static Media, a conglomerate that owns the Daily Meal, Tasting Table, etc. Looking at the current articles, I’m not seeing a strong editorial style or vision.

It acknowledges in the “About” section that “Chowhound was founded in 1997 by writer Jim Leff and Bob Okumura” but skips the part about the site being a message board.

4 Likes

Yup. The “content” is all them. No contributions from readers. Seems like a Food Lifestyle site more than anything.

Only four recipes. So far.

I hope for the young writers there that they find success. The community is long gone, but they don’t seem inclined to hike that path anyway. I think their main difficulty will be in differentiating themselves in a crowded market, even among other holdings in their own parent company - Mashed, Foodie, Daily Meal, and Food Republic are also owned by same parent company, and they all look rather identical, not tuned to different audiences.

6 Likes

I like what has been created here, more. So I won’t bother going over there to check it out. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Weve quit following Tasting Table here because of their habit of posting pretty pictures and writeups of dishes that look nice, but they dont post the recipe!

3 Likes

Almost applied for a food writer gig at TT. Kinda glad I didn’t.

IOW, the re-release is really “The Worst of Chowhound: Crap Nobody Read Anyway.”

13 Likes

I think CH had more participants so that made it more fun for me. (Am I mistaken?)

I just feel HO needs more people contributing.

I miss people like jfood but he quit posting long before the end.

(I was walker there)

2 Likes

I recognize the fact that I am a bit of a philistine, but for myself, those 4 recipes just cry out “Ignore me!”
Couldn’t they have thrown one meat-eater dish out there? Did they all have to be squash, figs, brie and lavender? I know fall is harvest time, but we harvest pigs, too! :wink:
Maybe they snuck a little “animal based protein” into one of the recipes? But I will never know.
And lavender, for an old fashioned? What?
LOL! It is amusing (at times) just how out of touch I am with what is popular.

5 Likes

In hindsight, the way forward for Chowhound could have been to add a Food52 component of selling stuff plus more and more recipes.

Or if Food52 added forums… Food52 does a good job of email outreach for recipes and sales. That’s how you upscale.

I’m the opposite.
HO is fun and feels like a family mostly because of the intimacy and warmth here.
Forums in general have been dying for a long time so I feel we’ve accomplished something good here in spite of the overwhelming presence of FB, IG, and X.
And TikTok, which I refuse to use.
A social media bridge too far.

11 Likes

as bbqboy mentioned, forums are slowly dying.
I started on CompuServe - a few of those SIG (special interest group) still exist at Forumania.com - curiously there are zero to none “new participants” - I recognize most of the names from the early 90’s
at one time CompServe hosted about 600 forums/SIGs.

“social media” appears to have buried forums.

also a curious observation, both ChowHound and ChefTalk were sold to the same outfit.
one is dead, the other on life support…
abandoned by their founders, they floundered.

1 Like