Rich Table [San Francisco, Hayes Valley]

I had dinner at Rich Table in Hayes Valley a couple times recently at the bar. Rich Table was opened by chefs Evan and Sarah Rich back in 2012, and was awarded a Michelin star last year. The kitchen is headed by chef de cuisine Brandon Rice. This place seems to be booked solid much of the time, but the bar is reserved for walk-ins and I was able to grab a seat at the bar both times without that much of a wait. These were my first visits, though I have been to their fast-casual rotisserie chicken place RT Rotisserie down the street a few times.

They have a “chef picks" menu for $99 a person available, but I wasn’t super hungry either time so I just ordered a la carte. Here’s some of what I ate:

Sardine Chip, Horseradish Creme Fraîche ($2 each)

This is one of their signature dishes. Basically potato chips with a small sardine threaded through it (actually seemed more like an anchovy) and fried. A delicious combination of crunchy potato and savory meaty fish. The cool horseradish sauce on the side was quite strong and a good dip for the chips.

Dried Porcini Doughnuts, Raclette ($9)

Another of their signature dishes - a savory doughnut. These were fantastic. Great fluffy texture, and the dusting of (dehydrated?) mushroom powder was incredibly umami rich, like mushroom MSG. The “raclette” sauce on the side was more creamy than cheesy.

Oysters on the Half ($3.75 each)

Nice oysters, dressed up with a zingy ponzu wasabi sauce.

Aged Beef Agnolotti, Borscht, Brussels Sprouts ($17)

Very striking looking. Red colored agnolotti pasta stuffed with beef, with a beet based “borscht” sauce. I don’t remember where the Brussels sprouts were in this dish. There were a few dabs of whole grain mustard around the pasta, which were nicely cooked al dente. Good.

21 Day Dry Aged Ribeye, RT “Poutine” ($37)

A ribeye steak, topped with fries, gravy, and some cheese curds. A steak covered with poutine I guess. This was really good. The ribeye steak definitely tasted aged and was very beefy. Fries were well executed, and the thick gravy covering everything was quite rich and meaty. The curds were I think a little too melted for poutine but were tasty nonetheless.

Rich Coffee ($13)

A dessert cocktail, with coffee, crème de cacao, fernet, pistachio whip. Very nice. Tasted like a pistachio flavored Irish coffee, with the fernet also adding some minty herbal flavor.

Coconut Cake ($13)

This was more of a coconut cupcake than a cake, with dollops of lime curd and cream around it and a brown butter ice cream on the side. Nice tropical flavored dessert.

Very good food and friendly service. The food kind of reminded me a bit of Frances and Octavia. California with a bit of inventiveness. Will definitely be back.

10 Likes

Nice report! Great pics. Thanks for posting.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing! I had been eyeing Rich Table’s prie fixe for a while, so there’s now a good reason to go, prie fixe or not.

2 Likes

I went back to Rich Table for dinner on a Sunday and tried some new (to me) dishes. The main courses didn’t look super interesting so I stuck to the pasta and the smaller dishes.

The Last Strawberry
Islay Gin, Strawberry, Manzanilla
A refreshing strawberry cocktail.

Oysters, Pickled Melon Rind Mignonette ($3.75 each)
Perfectly shucked.

Chicken Liver Mousse, Fried Green Tomatoes, Huckleberry ($9)
This was really good. The chicken liver mousse had a very airy whipped consistency. It was served with a sweet huckleberry topping and some cornmeal breaded fried green tomatoes on the side that I used as a platform for the mousse. A delicious mix of the creamy light savory mousse, the sweet huckleberry, and the slightly crispy slightly acidic green tomatoes.

’Goulash’ Dumplings, Caramelized Onion, Paprika ($5 each)
Also quite good. I ordered two of these. Kind of a fusion-y dish of Hungarian goulash beef stew in a dumpling form. Filled with a paprika spiced beef filling. Nice slightly thick wrapper. Sauced with a paprika infused oil and also a little bit of sour cream.

IMG_20191006_212526

Tonnarelli, Sea Urchin Cacio e Pepe, Idiazabal ($19)
Nicely textured tonnarelli (I believe a house made fresh pasta) with a creamy cacio e pepe (cheese and pepper) sauce with the slighty smoky Idiazabal cheese and some briny creamy sea urchin incorporated together. It had some shiso leaf or perilla in there which gave it an interesting licorice taste in some bites and also a good bit of finely chopped chives. Delicious.

Duck Confit Lasagna, Cabbage, Quince, Pistachio ($19)
A thin slice of a many layered lasagna stuffed with duck confit and served on a creamy béchamel-like sauce. Garnished with a few squirts of quince sauce that gave it a little sweetness, as well as some cabbage and crushed pistachio for texture. Very good.

Strawberry Sorbet ($3)
Was a bit stuffed for dessert so I just had the sorbet. A nice light refreshing strawberry sorbet.

7 Likes

Another enjoyable dinner at RT. The chef de cuisine now is Gizela Ho.

A couple of cocktails.

NECTARINE OF THE GODS
BRANDY, NECTARINE JAM. GINGER, HONEY, LEMON, TURMERIC ($16)

Tasted of nectarine, very refreshing.

SHISO POPULAR
JAPANESE GIN, SHISO, LEMON ($16)

Like a shiso gimlet, also quite refreshing.

BLUE FIN TUNA TORO TOAST YUZU KOSHO MILK BREAD ($20)
This had a delicious topping reminiscent of the filling of a tuna hand roll, rich and nicely seasoned with some licorice-y shiso and a little citrus and heat from the yuzu kosho, on top of a rectangle of fluffy milk bread toast.

AGED BEEF DUMPLING
RT CHILI CRUNCH ($5 EA)

A nice dumpling topped with a large amount of chili crisp like sauce.

OYSTERS ON THE SHELL
SWEETWATERS, HOG ISLAND
FRESNO KOSHO COCKTAIL SAUCE ($4.25 EA)

Oysters with a pretty spicy hot sauce.

DRIED PORCINI DOUGHNUTS
RACLETTE ($11)

One of their signatures for a reason, the reason being that they are delicious. Super light and fluffy donuts with a concentrated umami porcini dust, with a whipped raclette cheese sauce to dip them in.

SARDINE CHIP
HORSERADISH CRÈME FRAICHE (3.75 EA)

Another signature, potato chips threaded with a single sardine, served with a sharp horseradish cream sauce.

HEIRLOOM TOMATO “BLT”
BACON DRY-FRY, AVOCADO ($11)

A hearty tomato salad with a generous topping of bacon bits and avocado cream. Delicious, like a concentrated BLT filling with nice ripe tomatoes.

TONNARELLI, SEA URCHIN “CACIO E PEPE”, IDIAZABAL ($27)
Another signature dish again, Nicely al dente thick tonnarelli pasta, in a rich and creamy sauce that had a bit of uni flavor and more umami goodness from the idiazabal cheese. I had this with a nice glass of skin-contact wine recommended by the barkeep that was good to cut through the richness.

For dessert,

RICH COFFEE
COFFEE, CREME DE CACAO. FERNET, PISTACHIO WHIP ($16)

I had the zero proof version that had non-alcoholic amaretto instead of Fernet. This was a bit like an Irish coffee with a cool creamy whipped layer on top and the warm coffee layer on the bottom.

Great meal!

Menus:

4 Likes