Rice Noodles

As a newly diagnosed Type 2 diabetic who doesn’t know how to cook & is missing my pasta ( I won’t eat “substitutes “)‘ I am looking at a bag of rice noodles & wondering what to do with them in a very simple preparation.
Ideas ?

Mei fun.

1 Like

Are rice noodles any different for diabetes than wheat?

3 Likes

According to the following article they’re pretty even. But if you want to split hairs pasta is actually better (more protein & fiber, less carbs).

3 Likes

They might have a higher glycemic index than wheat noodles, but they’re both going to be worse than whole wheat noodles (why bother) or brown rice.

That said, most people managing diabetes include white rice, various noodles and pasta in their diet.

3 Likes

Maybe some of that new-fangled pasta made of chickpeas, lentils, etc. would be an option. Or those icky shirataki noodz.

Probably better for the glycemic index and fibre.
I tried chickpea noodles once and they were horrible. I don’t think I’d go down that path again unless I became celiac.

It would be difficult. I could eat pasta 5 nights a week.

I have them in soup, and they’re not bad. I cut my carb intake drastically last year, and this was one of the substitutions I found palatable. Cauliflower rice can gtfo.

2 Likes

How was it made? Just dried chickpea flour in an otherwise traditional method… or some other way? I ask as I have made chickpea flour for a variety of things, and while I have never made pasta with it, hard for me to think it would be horrible.

Another thought (and this one’s delish) is spiralized zucchini pasta with pesto/alfredo/brown butter/etc.

Thank you

1 Like

Here is a recipe from Duke Hospital Diabetes self management program, that uses rice noodles

I would have thought such a dish would be too carby. Maybe it is accompanied by other dishes that balance out the menu.

We like whole wheat pasta. I love cauli rice so idk how the haters are making it. :smile:

1 Like

Rice is very high glycemic.

I have steroid induced type 2 hdiabetes. It’s well controlled with medication.

Eating wheat pasta isn’t a problem for me, but white rice increases my blood sugar so I’ve given it up.

I think it was this brand. I didn’t like the mouth feel, and much of the pasta was left as sediment in the water . https://www.eatbanza.com/products/banza-chickpea-penne

I also don’t like most whole wheat or spelt pastas, except for a few Italian imports. I haven’t tried corn pasta. I might try an Italian corn pasta at some point.

I do cook with Vietnamese and Thai Rice Noodles, Glass Noodles and Soba. That’s about it , beyond my wheat pastas, wheat nokedli, wheat spaetzle and wheat egg noodles.

Looks like we have a winner :+1:

1 Like

Frozen cauliflower rice is sold in North America- not sure if you have it in India. I dislike frozen cauliflower florets so I haven’t purchased frozen cauliflower rice. It seems popular with people avoiding carbs.

99% of my cauliflower intake is cauliflower cheese, aloo gobi or boiled/topped with lemon and olive oil.

Hmmm… based on the ingredients: Chickpeas, Pea Starch, Tapioca, Xanthan Gum, I am not surprised by your experience. I am curious how just flour, eggs, water, EVOO would fare in a traditional method.

Curious enough to try it? Possibly not as it is not an issue for me… but I encourage the OP to give it a try.

Encourage the OP to try it. But if I remember from another thread, the OP doesn’t like vegetables or legumes much.

Tapioca flour can be amazing in some non-wheat breads, crêpes and pastries, so I am not surprised it would be part of the store-bought chickpea pasta.

I have never tried to buy cauli rice in India.

In the US I buy the frozen product (both plain and flavoured) and make my own from stems and scraps of fresh cauliflower.

I love fresh cauliflower for sure, and am happy to use frozen as a convenience occasionally. I love the cauli dishes you mentioned, and also roast cauliflower, and many others.

When I make cauli rice, I start by sauteeing the cauli rice in a little vegetable or olive oil with a pinch of cumin seeds, then cook as usual with a pinch of salt. When making for the young adults in the family I add some white rice and saute and cook together with the cauli rice. This changes the nutritional profile to be a little better than just white rice, yet provides the satisfaction of white rice.
But even when I make cauli rice by itself, I like it just fine. Yes, it’s not the same as white rice, but it tastes good, especially with all the accompanying dishes.

3 Likes

Here is a resource for Glycemic Index. This is a measure that captures how fast these ingredients are converted to sugars in your blood. Do remember that each individual is individual. You can only test post-meal to find out how foods affect your blood sugar.

According to this list, rice vermicelli is low GI compared to western pasta. I need to find the original source to see what the notes mean. Also, there is a low GI Udon galled GOTO Udon. I need to find it.

I am in the process of reordering my diet for weight loss, heart health and diabetic control. So I am deep in explorations. And having my meds revised.

2 Likes