Rhode trip [PVD and Matunuck RI]

This might sound like hyperbole, but there are some restaurants that are magical to me and B. Perhaps it’s the memory of a different, simpler time. But return visits this weekend were as good as our memories.

On Saturday, we first tried Nick’s on Westminster but it was closed. Then, we stopped into Rogue Island but it was a bit too brunchy for us (particularly there was nothing savory that would appeal to spring onion). We settled on pizza down the street which was fine but quite poor customer service (B remarked that it was like everyone working there was hungover; I dislike writing anything negative unless it’s egregious so I’ll keep it unnamed). We recouped by stopping into Malted Barley for a delicious Grey Sail IPA and everything pretzel with marinara dipping sauce. Spring onion is always happy with board games and the foosball table. And great waitstaff even though we only shared a beer and a pretzel.

We stayed one night in RI and the following day, we headed to the beach. The plan was to stop at Rebelle bagelry for breakfast first but I was overridden. We were making such good time that we decided to push all the way to Wakefield and stopped for bagels down there and eat them on the beach. Poor spring onion was starving and scarfed his in the car while B and I happily ate our bagels and coffee on the beach by 10 AM. The beach at East Matunuck is not my favorite, but our ulterior motive was to go to Matunuck Oyster for lunch. We left the beach around 12:30 PM and amazingly we were seated right away, albeit inside but that was OK with us since we had been out in the sun for a few hours. It’s amazing how crowded that place has gotten since our first visit many years ago but I’m glad at their success. B got the fantastic lobster roll of course. Spring onion had a delicious chunk of salmon and I went with the RI clear clam chowder and then littlenecks with chourizo which I shared with B. The littlenecks broth is the type that I want to take home and throw on top of rice and I would have if we didn’t have two or three hours of a drive ahead of us. I’m not in the habit of taking photos at restaurants but I regretted not taking one of our meal afterwards. Everything was unequalled (though B wanted more salt in the chowder). Cold beer and rose. And much more sunny down in Rhode Island than it was up here in Massachusetts. To paraphrase an old show that I liked, it’s always sunny in Rhode Island.

ETA: And life can still be good and beautiful despite all the ugliness right now.

7 Likes

I did NOT write this.

2 Likes

Lovely report as always, Digga. And, thanks for the reminder to savor the beauty. We desperately need that right now.

We need to keep RI beaches on our list and get there more often.

1 Like

Sorry, my post title wasn’t meant to plagiarize. I thought it was a standing thread. I can’t edit it anymore.

2 Likes

Matunuck Oyster is also one of our favorite places in Rhode Island, so I’m happy to see other HOers sharing the same sentiment. With all the Cape traffic on the weekend, we are spending more time in Rhode Island where the scenery is just as pretty.

We went to Newport Jazz Festival last weekend and had a great time listening to music by the ocean and trying out restaurants along the way, although I suppose that should be its own separate thread…

2 Likes

You have inspired me. I’m thinking of Matunuck Oysters this fall.

1 Like

YES! Please do if/when you can.

I always love reading about your adventures with spring onion…my family of 3 loves Rhode Island, too, so we are always looking to catalog your suggestions. We go before Memorial Day and after Labor Day. I love the clear RI clam chowder. Yes, there’s lots of ugliness right now and for the last few years, but sharing the good and the beautiful is part of our community here, so thank you for your post. Cold beer for the older male, rosé for me, and something our much older than yours spring onion will eat (adopted age 7 so trying new foods is still a challenge)… with an ocean view is spectacular.

1 Like

Just want to make a small correction to your post… There is no oceanview at Matunuck oyster but rather it is located on a pond. There is a dock for people riding up to the restaurant.

1 Like

@GretchenS kindly changed my post title @Ferrari328.

2 Likes

After learning about Matunuck Oyster Bar from you, I made plans to have lunch there on our way to Long Island. I had the fried oyster sandwich, and it was excellent. Not quite as good as the one with New Orleans spicing at Cheeky Sandwiches on Orchard Street in Lower Manhattan, but Matunuck’s bread was better than Cheeky’s. My wife had a lobster roll, that was just ok, all claw meat, some pieces less fresh than others. Still I’m glad we went, and hope to be able to try it again.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about the lobster roll - it’s B’s go-to at Matunuck and it never disappoints. I guess we don’t frequent often enough to have had a mediocre meal (because all kitchens must have a off-day here-and-there).

Frankly, your report makes me want to road trip soon. Nothing better than walking a beach wearing big sweatshirts and sweaters, followed by a good meal. Thanks for the report.

4 Likes

Well, every place can have an off day. On the basis of one lobster roll I would not disqualfy Matunuck. I should also mention the extremely polite valet parking, which was free. I, of course, gave them a tip, but I didn’t have to.

1 Like