Rewatching Top Chef

Linda,
Thanks for the info.

1 Like

winecountrygirl,
We were aware she had left Spiaggia, but just could not go to a mentor restaurant. That said with the passing of time maybe our views will soften and we will try Spiaggia. It sounds wonderful.

We went to Chicago for a birthday celebration, and to eat at Charlie Trotter’s. We had lunch at Spiaggia and I enjoyed it more than CT’s! Hope you get there.

1 Like

Remember when Bourdain called Mikey from season 2 “the love child of Betty Crocker and Charles Manson” ???

5 Likes

Joe Flamm was at Spiaggia but he is opening up his own restaurant now

2 Likes

I think I liked him.

Who can forget that???

I think I liked him

Oh my God, I forgot all about that. Mikey M. was the chef that had to have dental work and then cooked when he was on Vicodin and cooked his best meal of the season. Daddy Tom commented that maybe he should continue in that vein…different times.

2 Likes

I believe it was Brian Malarkey in season 3 who made a lobster dish that Bourdain said had “the texture of doll head.”

3 Likes

Nope, I just watched that episode. I think it was someone else and I think it was “doll head hair.” He was the best judge!!!

1 Like

It absolutely was Bourdain. From the Television Without Pity recap of the episode:

“Padma asks Brian why he thinks he’s there. “I WOULD SAY THAT MAYBE THE PORTION WAS OVERWHELMING,” MALARKEY! steps in to bellow. Colicchio notes that Brian is surprised to be there. “I’m very surprised I’m here, yes,” Brian says, in a much more muted tone than MALARKEY! “You’re here because that hash was disgusting,” Colicchio says, relishing giving him the pure truth. “Really,” Brian says, unconvinced. “It was gross,” Colicchio assures him. “The lobster had the texture of doll head,” Bourdain explains. They’re just Mean Boys. However, the image of Bourdain with a mouthful of doll head is pretty hysterical, if not totally disturbing. He must have had doll head on a stick when flying coach on Air Cambodia. Colicchio muffles a giggle”

The other big Bourdain zinger on that ep was this (from the same recap):

" CJ presents his pan-seared halibut with toasted farro and mint oil and a side of Broccolini with breadcrumbs and “more mint vinaigrette.” “Wow,” is all Padma says to her seatmate. I think she’s as toasted as CJ’s breadcrumbs and really doesn’t know if she’s supposed to think the dish is good or bad, so she’s just waiting for Congressman Jimmy’s judgment. “Tough to eat,” Jimmy says. Colicchio turns to Bourdain and says, “That is really not good.” You gotta love how this next bit is captioned because Bravo wants to make damn sure we miss nothing of Bourdain’s carefully crafted insults. “They were cleaning Bob Marley’s house and they found this in the closet,” Bourdain disdains. Colicchio giggles into his leather “flight” jacket. The two of them are like the rowdy boys in the back of the classroom, throwing spitballs, making fart noises, and generally being Beavis and Bourdain. They totally encourage one another."

1 Like

Yes, I knew it was Bourdain, for sure, but it was not in the same episode I was talking about above. The broccolini was in the airplane food episode, and CJ went home for it. Ugh, I really have to learn to make myself clearer!! I knew what I meant!! I am halfway through that season now - on the re-do of restaurant wars. Still can’t believe one team thought it was a good idea to get scented candles for the tables!

Yes, those remarks, unmistakably Bourdain!!

1 Like

I’ve never seen Padma so sad when she was announcing the whacking of a contestant. She was on the verge of tears.

Please tell me you kept a running total on the number of times CJ mentioned he only has one nut.

3 Likes

Season 1 - What a difference a host makes. Katie Lee just had no enthusiasm, and a squeaky voice. And who can forget Ken, who talked back to Hubert Keller!

3 Likes

Rewatching season 8 all stars. Makes me realize what is missing from the show now - fun! These guys are really enjoying each other.

Edited to say - and who is more fun than Fabio!!!

4 Likes

On to season 10. That was the one Kristen won. I was surprised to realize that she was basically in the misdle for,the first couple of episodes. Josie is still most annoying! And crazy Carla, so loud!

2 Likes

Ugh…Josie

2 Likes

Yeah, but I love Carla. Was she the “real” winner?

My favorite line of her’s ; something like "See this? This is one tree you don’t want to bark up! ".

1 Like

Not sure what you mean. She was gone after like 3 episodes. Do you mean Brooke?

In Josie’s laugh - HEE HEE HEE. snort