Revisiting Oakleaf in Pittsboro, NC

A group found ourselves near Pittsboro and had lunch at Oakleaf that I seem to remember won Greg Cox’s award as best restaurant in the Triangle a couple of years ago. Excellent! They have a lunch deal: $15 for any 2 items from a special lunch menu that includes wines, apps, pastas, and desserts. My DH and I split a lovely porcini and chestnut soup (w/ truffled creme fraiche), an arugula salad with pears, hazelnuts, and a fig dressing (truly one of the best salads I’ve ever had), a gnocchi dish with hazelnut sauce (quite good, but rich and the gnocchi could have been lighter), and an amazing tagliatelle pasta with ham, cheese, and a perfectly fried egg (so very rich but so very worth it). The rest of the group ate a la carte. Two of my friends had the trout which they said was perfectly cooked (and also came with a hazelnut sauce - see a pattern here?) but the portion was a bit small and one of them admitted he left hungry. Another friend had the chicken salad sandwich w/ FF which he praised. So, in sum, a terrific experience for a restaurant we tend to forget about. Worth the trip.

1 Like