review of Jonathan Kauffman's new book, "Hippie Food: How Back-to-the-Landers, Longhairs, and Revolutionaries Changed the Way We Eat "

2 Likes

The cookbook is out January 2018.

looking forward to reading this one

I’m surprised that the Berkeley Public Library system doesn’t have a single copy.

probably too soon.

Yes. The publication date is January 23rd 2018 so it’s just now showing up on the library’s lists of potential purchases. Magazines like Publishers’ Weekly (the link in the OP’s post) and Kirkus review books months before they’re published so that bookstore buyers and librarians can order them in time.

1 Like

Maybe Berkeley people are too busy going to their 2 Whole Foods instead of being hippie or reading hippie books. :slight_smile:

Right, I noted above that the cookbook is avail in January. Our local library network in NJ posts coming soon lists periodically.

The word hippie has been used as a marketing term for decades. Skincare, food, apparel, publications, real estate and even medical practices. It’s a curious love-hate relationship that doesn’t receive enough credit for originating goods that today have been revamped at 4xs the price. Funny that.

1 Like

Ah, thanks for the publication date info.

This is an excerpt published in the New Yorker from Kauffman’s “Hippie Food” book .

Tofurky: A Brief, Semi-Accidental History of Thanksgiving’s Fake Meat
By Jonathan Kauffman November 21, 2017

2 Likes

It’s funny that he doesn’t much like it either. This stuff wasn’t around when I was a vegetarian in the 70’s and 80’s, early 90’s so I never had it back then. More recently I’ve never been at a Thanksgiving where we had it because my current vegetarian/vegan friends either hate it or have wheat sensitivities. I have tasted it and while I don’t hate it it seems overpriced. I’d rather get mock duck from a Chinese restaurant.

1 Like
1 Like

I can’t wait to read this. Maybe they mention our moms? :slight_smile:

1 Like

The sample book is avail through iBooks and Kindle if you want a sneek peek before buying.

Book signing on Jan 25 in San Francisco at Omnivore Books

Thurs. Jan. 25 • Jonathan Kauffman. Hippie Food: How Back-to-the-Landers, Longhairs, and Revolutionaries Changed the Way We Eat • 6:30-7:30 p.m. FREE

Food writer Jonathan Kauffman journeys back more than half a century—to the 1960s and 1970s—to tell the story of how a coterie of unusual men and women embraced an alternative lifestyle that would ultimately change how modern Americans eat. Impeccably researched, Hippie Food chronicles how the longhairs, revolutionaries, and back-to-the-landers rejected the square establishment of President Richard Nixon’s America and turned to a more idealistic and wholesome communal way of life and food.

Omnivore Books on Food
3885a Cesar Chavez Street
(at Church Street)
San Francisco, CA 94131

info@omnivorebooks.com OR

i hope Kauffman drew on this 1970 LIfe Magazine article. Among other Berzerkeley nostalgia, It has a picture of Saturday morning food distribution at the North Berkeley-Albany Cell of the Berkeley food conspiracy, for which my then wife and I were the cheese coordinators.

https://goo.gl/MyrWBF

10-minute radio interview with Kauffman that aired today on public radio:

On Jim Baker, later known as Father Yod, who founded a natural foods restaurant in Los Angeles and led The Source Family

“I think members of The Source Family are comfortable with that word ‘cult.’ He had been a bodybuilder, aspiring actor who moved out to LA in the 1950s, and he and his wife opened this early natural foods restaurant that was nothing like hippie food. But he had a kind of conversion experience, partially after he kinda committed a couple murders in self-defense, and went down … he had kind of a breakdown, and rediscovered himself and food through spirituality. So he eventually became Father Yod, and was teaching a colorful spirituality. But it also was combined with a largely raw foods diet. And so he and his followers all lived together in a big mansion, they all dressed in white … long-flowing beards. He had 13 wives, and they had this incredibly successful vegetarian restaurant in LA that drew everybody from producers to rock stars to the general public. … I think they felt like the food that they were eating would uplift them spiritually as well as physically.”

1 Like

My hold copy from the Berkeley Public Library arrived yesterday. I’ll report back.

1 Like