Review: Glestain Gyuto (Chef's knife)

Thanks. I was thinking in that direction too. There are large indentations/hollows on the Glestain, but they do not look deep. As the knife get sharpen down to the indentations, it should form the thin edge as you have mentioned.

My guess is that I don’t think sharpening to the indentation would ruin the Glestain knives.

I agree, this is my 15 year old Wustoff Culinar and it works great slicing veggies and stays nice and sharp.

g

1 Like

The geometries created by/in the hollows are complex. In my and brisket’s photos, you can see that the hollows were imparted by small-diameter wheels,. This means that, while the very bottom of hollow is relatively close to the cutting edge, the overall thickness of the blade isn’t affected much out at the edges of the hollow where the wheel tapers to zero.

Frankly, I think you could sharpen “down into” these hollows (using a flat platen or stone), and the knife would still function well. If anyone was anal-retentive about it, a light pass with very fine emery wrapped around a dowel would get into any concavities.

The terminology gets murky, too. Granton and Glestain are companies (Granton having patented its edge in 1928), but people continue to refer to the edges by these names even when the maker is a different company. The generic term for the ground hollows in knife blades is ‘kullenschliffen’, which probably explains why almost no one uses the term.