Restaurants you dearly miss [Boston, New England]

Yes, predecessor to Magnolia’s in that spot !

Whoa. That was a quick trip in the Wayback Machine, Mr. Peabody! I had completely forgotten about that place, but LOVED it the few times I had been there!

Oh yes. And what was the name of the Korean place next door?

This is an oldie. The Newbury Steakhouse. Used to go quite often back in the day.

3 Likes

I made it to Red Dory once for lunch, I think in 2018, when Steve still owned it. The food was excellent. He personally waited on us and I made a point to tell him that I never ever had a bad or even mediocre experience at Rendezvous, and that Cambridge badly missed him.

5 Likes

Salamander when it was on Atheneum St. in Cambridge. So many great meals. Went once to the new Copley Sq location and it just wasn’t the same, never went back.

5 Likes

There was this place I used to frequent in 2005/2006 (I think) right on Newburry street that is now closed that I liked quite a bit and in spite of my numerous, numerous attempts to try and remember the name and find information about it - it appears to have completely vanished. I even tried going back in time using Google Streetview to no avail, almost as if that place has never existed. I think it was called “Kube” but I could be way off, a lot of times I dined there was after having many a drink nearby. It was a modern, sleek establishment and the food was great. I really wish I could remember what it was :frowning:

1 Like

Do you have any recollection of which block on Newbury or what type of food it served? 29 Newbury is definitely missed, but I wouldn’t call it sleek.

Armani Cafe? That might have been late 90s

2 Likes

I remember having several great meals at Cafe Louis when Michael Schlow was just starting in Boston. That would been in the early 2000’s I think.

1 Like

Oh yes. That was excellent

Not it. :frowning:

I remember the establishment had two floors and had some modern lightning but was also dark. It was an oddity of a restaurant in its decor and style but maybe that’s what drew me to it?

It was so long ago now it’s mostly a very vague memory

I do remember it being near an intersection - kind of like Cafeteria Boston is. It was definitely closer to the Mass Ave side of Newbury Street than the Public Gardens side but yeah… I don’t remember much else

1 Like

Could it in fact be where Cafeteria was (now Eva) @ Newbury and Gloucester? A lot of restaurants cycled through that location before Cafeteria and it kind of fits your memory (near Mass Ave and two floors)

2 Likes

I’m so intrigued—I love a challenge! I hope we can collectively parse this out.

1 Like

I want to say it was some trendy sounding single word name that did not evoke a restaurant. I was picturing that exact Newbury and Gloucester location.

1 Like

Magic Pan? A creperie with two floors, I vaguely recall.

Wasn’t that down @Berkeley St? Or was that La Creperie?

At any rate, this article suggests that the Newbury St Magic Pan closed in 1993, so that couldn’t be it.

Yikes, 1993? I’m older than dirt ;-).

2 Likes

I found evidence that Miyako, a Japanese restaurant for which I have zero recollection, occupied 279a Newbury street in 1996.

I’m guessing that’s not what the OP was looking for. lol

Page 16. Bring back any memories?

2 Likes