Restaurants you dearly miss [Boston, New England]

Miyako was great sushi and a lot of fun. It’s somewhere I wish we still had in the Back Bay today. However, I would be surprised if this is what the previous post was referring to. I don’t remember Miyako as being either sleek or modern. Sushi on that patio was great though.

1 Like

Yeah I think it may have been that spot. I just wish I could access an archive of all of the various establishments that have cycled through in the past 20 years at that location. I don’t think my place had a long run to say the least

Looks like Saffron used to be at that location. Take a look at the descriptions of the decor?

You jogged my memory about the Empress Room (and it would not fly today, of course): When I made our reservation, and we arrived, at each place setting was a box of matches with a monogram of my initials on each one!!! Seemed like such elegance.

1 Like

What a room it was too. Terraced so every table had an unobstructed view of the Boston skyline.

2 Likes

Just found the matches to the right buried in a junk drawer. Thought this might bring back some good memories. :laughing:

5 Likes

Here’s another one I was reminiscing about the other day: Sel de la Terre. T’was a fun little spot and the food was pretty good. Now that the Mandarin moved in with their fancy-schmancy establishments, there’s another affordable spot gone

2 Likes

I loved Sel de la Terre. Best place to eat near the aquarium. Reasonably priced, excellent food, beautiful interior.

The restaurant I miss the most is Rauxa, Jim Becker’s Spanish place in Union Square, Somerville, which replaced the Elephant Walk there. Loved, loved, loved that place. I saved several menus. So much more interesting that Dali.

2 Likes

A bit of persistence in googling will get you to a collection that purports to be original Magic Pan recipes, like the salad with almonds and mandarin orange segments.

1 Like

Joseph’s, the old Locke Ober’s, Veronique, Appetito, original Legal. Going back decades!

1 Like

Original Legal, wasn’t it near the Orson Welles movie theater? It was amazing.

Orson Welles was on Mass Ave. Original Legal was in Inman Sq.

2 Likes

Thanks. Yes, I knew the original Legal was in Inman. Ate there several times. And that the Orson Welles was on Mass Ave. I looked up the addresses and yes, the two were about a 15 minute walk apart. It is striking to me that both were destroyed by fire, the movie theater in 1986 in a fire caused by a popcorn maker according to wikipedia, and Legal in 1980. My memory of walking distances around 1976 is a bit hazy!

1 Like

Does anyone else remember Scups in the Harbor in Eastie? Breakfast spot tucked away in the marina. Their millionaire’s bacon was so damn good as was their breakfast

Me too. They had an outpost at the Natick Mall for a while that was one of the few decent places to have a civilized meal at the mall.

I was always a bit suspicious of that fire. They opened the Park Square Legal around that time, and it was staffed by all the regulars from Inman Square.

Loved the original. Didn’t even mind the wait, sitting upstairs with an excellent Bloody Mary until our number was called.

2 Likes

The timing certainly was questionable, I agree.

1 Like

The fact that there is fire station across the street from the Inman square location added to the speculation. :wink:

3 Likes

So here’s another flashback that hit me out of nowhere: L’Impasto in Cambridge, which shuttered at least a decade ago if not longer. Right on Mass Ave, not too far from The Greek Corner, on the opposite side of the street. Great Italian spot, a neighborhood gem. Fresh bread, fresh pasta - delicious all the things.

I remember being devastated when they closed but they just re-opened, under a new name and new menu, right in Medfield as Daje. Excited to check it out soon, they apparently just opened as of four days ago.

2 Likes

Controversial pick but I was reminiscing about my college days with a coworker earlier and we both agreed that The Pour House on Boylston was pretty great. Everything was cheap and it was decent. Nothing really like it these days amidst a sea of chain restaurants and expensive spots. I miss my late night drinks and loud music in the basement.

2 Likes