Restaurants We Miss [NJ]

Restaurant David Drake in Rahway.

2 Likes

The Fanwood location was quick to mention the batter recipe was passed to them from The Chippery but it didn’t seem like it to me.

David Drake was my favorite NJ restaurant

3 Likes

Last time I looked, Drake was the chef at Rudolph’s Steakhouse in Bernardsville.

Junior - Speaking of Edison, do you remember the Captain’s Wheel?

The Captains Wheel if I remember correctly was on the South side of 1 about a mile or so from Green Street in Iselin, am I right? (now the site of a strip mall) The staples on 1 and Green St. used to be a restaurant too, I forget the name but I think it had a nautical theme too.

The Staples used to be the Greenwood Manor if I recall correctly. Also there was another place on Route 1 and Ford Ave. called Captain G’s.

Yes, you are correct. These were all a bit “before my time”…I think you are correct the Greenwod Manor was the Staples location and the location I was explaining to you was Capt. G’s not the Captains Wheel, so the answer to your question is yes I remember it but by name alone.

From 1986-1991 I worked at 2000 Park Ave in South Plainfield NJ (name is location) it used to be the old Jacques Restaurant. It was owned by a Greek family whom I became very close with and after we would close we would often head over to the Greenwood Manor for “last call” (often staying with the owners till well past closing) , then from there we would head to The Galaxy Diner on St. George Ave. (who also had a liquor license)…even though I was under age (until - 1991) I would get served with them at the Greenwood, Galaxy and The Pines Manor. Those were the big Greek-owned spots of the time.

Wow…you have opened up a flood gate of memories.

2 Likes

I’m not going to actually “miss” this place, but I couldn’t find a thread about the brand so I’m putting this here. Tilted Kilt in East Brunswick is CLOSED. I actually picked up lunch from the Panera next door and they were holding an auction for the contents. I thought about walking through, but I doubt they had any kilts in my size.

I had only gone to this place a handful of times, mostly when it first opened and it was honestly awful every visit I made.

3 Likes

Anyone care to kick in cash to see @NotJrvedivici in a kilt?? @MsBean? @seal? @BossaNova? @corvette_johnny? :joy:

What makes you think we all haven’t already seen @NotJrvedivici in a kilt?

2 Likes

The rumor was that you’ve seen him out of the kilt…

3 Likes

I’m in!!

2 Likes