Restaurant Nicholas [Red Bank, NJ]

I haven’t been, but I thought that’s what was happening there anyway…? Maybe too many people are hitting Nicholas Creamery instead of the restaurant? That email sounds like “we need customers” but that’s just my read on it.

From our experience, they don’t need more customers, they need more parking.

3 Likes

In the past few weeks, I’ve noticed with more regularity when I browse Open Table availability at Barrell & Roost. Usually nothing prime time. Not sure if that is a sign of anything.

2 Likes

They have that landscaped space outside the front door that they are probably using. No chance they are cutting down parking (and I’m no city planner but they don’t have the space to use the parking lot without it being a hazard )

1 Like

I haven’t been in that area in quite a while - I’m not sure I’ve even seen the reincarnation of the old format into the current one format. They never had enough parking and it seems to me this can’t do anything but make it worse.

1 Like

Everyone makes mention of their parking situation (admittedly I’ve only been to original Nicolas a hand full of times) however each time I recall going it was always valet, wasn’t it?

Am I mistaken or maybe that was only weekends? What are all you derelicts doing in the parking lot?

2 Likes

We went to Nicholas a few times before it became this new concept. It was valet when we went. One night they insisted we valet and then literally parked it the very first spot across from the door. Oh ok, we could have done that. Another night, they insist on it again but then the attendant admitted he didn’t know how to drive stick… I recall they park in the adjacent lot.

1 Like

It was always valet at the “old” Nicholas. I finally got to B&R last month for the first time (loved it) and tried to negotiate the parking situation…wound up parking on the adjacent street until I saw the sign that directed people to use the lot next door (which ironically was mostly blocked by an SUV that was parked in front of it!)

1 Like

Drove by today. Looks like a trailer was set up in the corner closest to the entrance which I assume is the bar they are referencing.

3 Likes

Very interesting, an out door patio bar (especially cigar friendly but that’s not a requirement) would be a cool addition I would check out. That’s the first thing to Interest me especially since I’m not a big burger guy.

4 Likes

Scored 2 bar seats on a rainy walk in tonight. Excellent evening. Only took pic of the burger but we had a few Buffalo smash cocktails, short ribs and the Mac/cheese with bone marrow topping. Followed up with a drop in at the creamery on the way home. Really enjoyable. Service sitting at the bar was exceptional too

10 Likes

Got an email from Nicholas letting me know I should eat there again. I always do what I am told so I found myself there for brunch today. They were less than full at noon, explaining the marketing email.

It took about ten minutes for me to explain to my online date that 1) No, I am not really vegan and 2) I am paying so either get over it and order or leave me to eat my burger in peace.

So here I am alone with my burger. Sucker is up to $17 and still a bargain and still likely the best thing on the menu.

5 Likes

The fries, done medium-well, minus the garlic. 100%

1 Like

Curious…it comes w chips but you ordered fries on the side, or do you get both for $17? Also curious to know about the greens I can see…side salad?
I still haven’t been there.

1 Like

Only half a pickle? Day-um.

1 Like

It only comes with the house made potato chips. I wanted fries so they were $8 extra as a side.

As for the salad, I may have exaggerated my date’s upsetness at my order :wink:

1 Like

Technically I think that’s a 1/4 of a pickle.

3 Likes

I will concede that it could be 3/8s of a pickle.

2 Likes

Having spent a large portion of my life around commercial kitchens, I can say that I have seen un-eaten pickles placed back into the pickle bin. My lifelong research has led to my theory that about 1/3 off all pickles in circulation have been recycled, some dating back to the Carter administration. It’s because of this I have taught my children that regardless of personal pickle preference (the original PPP) it is every citizens obligation to bite the pickle they are served to ensure it can’t be put back in the pickle bin.

Personally, I’m not a huge pickle fan, but if I’m served one at a restaurant etc. I will bite the SOB and put it out of its misery. It’s the only humane thing to do to end this epidemic.

9 Likes