Restaurant Nicholas [Red Bank, NJ]

Too bad about the bread. $5 too. The ‘free’ bread was really good but I’m sure alot got wasted. (not by us)

I’m curious how you manage to score 3 reservations! Sorry but maybe I’m getting old but I don’t like to eat at 9:00 and that is all that seems to be available to book weeks and weeks out

Late dining: we are originally NNJ people and things are a small bit different up there - late dining is common and it fit our life style. Down here no one seems to like to eat after 8pm and that’s been an adjustment.

How: I just got on Open Table and worked the site for a bit until I got something between 8pm and 9pm. Before the 10pm curfew, late dining was simpler - as long as you don’t mind being the last one in the room. Our last dinner there was an 8:45pm res and we just made the 10pm closing - and that’s with rather … leisurely … service. Not sure I’d do that again under these conditions. Nor am I in a big hurry to return.

Bread: I’ll gladly pay for great bread, less so for what we were served.

1 Like

Ah makes sense…I too am in the same bread camp, although I’m surprised a charge for decent bread hasn’t really caught on (although they would probably then have to hire someone to “curate their bread program”) :rofl:

1 Like

Not sure how they release reservation blocks but I was able to get late Dec and mid Jan at the times I wanted a couple days ago.

yes it does look like there are some more reasonable times available now the first week of January

Going back in time a bit, Nicholas used to use Balthazar Bakery bread delivered from their NJ bakery. Then, still years ago, Nicholas started baking their own bread, which was surprisingly almost as good as Balthazar’s. I would gladly pay good money for either of those loaves.

Btw, my biggest disappointment was the B&R pizza!

I saw the word “loaves” and had to laugh. I wish I had taken a picture of the very weak “bread board” - it was a wooden paddle with 6 dinner rolls (I can personally say that 3 of them had seen better times), a small bit of ricotta and a small (read “inadequate”) bit of butter (unsalted, of course). All in all a very poor showing.

Regarding pizza: I won’t even give B&R try. With local competition like Medusa, Porta, and The Galley (try a pan pie, trust me) AND their overall lack of sheer brilliance, what would be the point?

To be fair, they were always roll sized, but to the point, their bread was bad? That would really suck.

Does anybody know at which restaurant the governor was this week when he got verbally assaulted by two women? The papers reported it was in Red Bank but didn’t say where.

Believe it was char

2 Likes

I concur

1 Like

My wife and I returned this past Monday. Had an 8pm reservation. We were seated in the (new) bar room and neither of us were all that happy. Since the last time we were in that room, they surrounded the bar with high-hats. This certainly increased their seating capacity - however, I didn’t do the math but the room appeared entirely too crowded - we were no less than (an approximated) 6 feet away from anyone - but it wasn’t that safe feeling we had had previously. A larger problem - and one that won’t go away when the 'rona is history - NOISE. With the room filled to whatever-percent capacity, it was absurdly noisy. I mean shout-across-the-table NOISY.

And the kitchen botched my French fries.

We have a reservation between Christmas and New Years. As I sit here typing, it’s about 50/50 if we’ll go back.

3 Likes

Update: we went. Sat in the library. Everything was better. I now bring my own salt & pepper grinders.

And I already have my January reservation.

2 Likes

I brought my own pepper shaker on our last outing and my husband was so mad. I didn’t need it, though.

Before the 'rona I put together a foody’s go-bag: picnic-sized salt & pepper grinders, an Opinel folding knife, a wine key, and a complete flatware setting. All this is in the pouches of a six-pack cooler bag.

I tend to get most offended by crap steak knives.

Being an old veteran, I mostly dare anyone to comment.

7 Likes

Never mind crap steak knives-- what about places that think table knives can cut waffles or roast chicken or anything that doesn’t fall apart of its own accord? We find ourselves having to ask far too often for a real knife.

2 Likes

Starting Monday they are doing lunch. Just checked and reservations are available.

The latest email from Nicholas… I’m guessing there’s even less parking now?

BETTER BOOZE IN THE GREAT OUTDOORS
THE ROOST

Killer handcrafted cocktails and even better outdoor vibes… welcome to “The Roost”.

Right outside the Barrel & Roost front door, Nicholas created the perfect pit stop for pre and post dinner drinks. Sip the dangerously drinkable Melissa’s Pool Side Stash, Skinny Grapefruit Cosmo and Buffalo Smash or tap into our craft beers and wines by the glass. Want to pretend you are vacationing in Italy? Ask for a classic Aperol Spritz.

Grab your friends and soak up the sun kissed air while it lasts… come see us at The Roost!

PS. We don’t serve food at The Roost but luckily, we know a place 3 steps away that serves the best “Nicholas burger” you will ever eat in your life;)
BARREL & ROOST MENUS
MAKE A RESERVATION AT BARREL & ROOST

SUMMERTIME SIPPER

Rose All Day 6-Pack MELISSA’S POOLSIDE STASH

This fan favorite is the ideal sunny day sipper to keep cool and take the edge off. It has zero sugar, plenty of tequila and a nice little jalapeno kick on the backend. Trust us, you won’t stop with one.

Melissa’s Poolside Stash
Jalapeno Infused Codigo Tequila, Cointreau, Lime Juice, Cucumber

Is this a “new space” at the location? From what I’ve seen (in passing) it didn’t seem like they had much more room for out-door space besides the dining they had going on. Anyone have anything in person to report?