Restaurant News Summer 2018 [NY/CT]

I was afraid of that!

The space that used to be Crave in Poughkeepsie has reopened as Lolita’s Pizza, with a wood burning oven. I saw a description of it as fast-casual, which would imply that you order at the counter. The photos of the pizzas on their FB page look good, kind of like The Parlor in Dobbs Ferry.

1 Like

To me, this one is no loss, but maybe for the music part. We’ve gone there before the Paramount.

And then there’s this. I’ve never been there myself.

I heard from someone in the Peekskill business community that Ruben (from Ruben’s Mexican Café across the street) had purchased 12 Grapes. Not sure what the plans are (nor do I know if that is for publication but what the heck).

1 Like

Just read this - and it looks like Locali opening has been pushed back again.

• Dave DiBari, the Westchester chef behind The Cookery and The Parlor in Dobbs Ferry is opening two restaurants; one in the former Cedar Street Grill space in Dobbs Ferry; the other in the space previously occupied by Q Restaurant & Barbecue in Port Chester. The concepts for both are under wraps so stay tuned to lohud for updates.
  • The former Cafe of Love space in Mount Kisco will be a Latin fusion restaurant and will open by early October. The as yet unnamed space will be run by the folks who own Hacienda La Paloma in Mount Kisco.
  • Construction has been pushed back on both Fattrice in Pleastanville and Locali Pizza Bar + Kitchen in Mount Kisco, the new food concepts by Mogan Anthony, the visionary behind Village Social with locations in Mount Kisco and Rye as well as Pub Street in Pleasantville. Fattrice, which Anthony has said will be like Chipotle, but based on grain with an abundance of healthy bowl options, may undergo a name change. Locali will primarily be pizza and salads like his Locali spot in New Canaan.
  • The Oath in Tarrytown has closed and will be replaced by Burgerology, a Long Island-based company. It’s not a done deal, but is 90 percent happening according to owner Eddie Galatoulas who runs the company with his wife, Georgia, and kids Maria and John. The full-service restaurant specializes in burgers, salads, sandwiches and shakes. This would be the family’s first Westchester location.
  • The Birch Collective in White Plains has closed.
1 Like

Exciting lineup!

I am surprised they call Mogen Anthony the vision behind VS. No mention of Joe Bueti. I wish they’d hurry and open Locali though!!

1 Like

From one pizza lover to another – I hear you!
I had a decent clam pie at Craft in Pleasantville over the weekend, by the way. Clams were super fresh.

1 Like

Lubins and Links in Tarrytown closed very recently. The owner had mentioned moving on to “the next step.” Sorry to see it go. I really loved their lubins (tender brisket) and the prices were great. I could satisfyingly feed my whole brood of 5 for under $20. L&L also catered my husband’s college graduation party (he went back to school and finished his degree in 2013). It was fantastic - friends still talk about that spread. (Funny enough - the other great place we catered from closed as well - Magic Wok in Pville - back when Alice Chen ran it & it was actually good!) Some of these closings tug the heartstrings. :frowning:

Not surprised with Birch. Last time I was there portions were tiny, food tasted microwaved, and my party felt invisible during the whole visit. The servers and bartenders gave the impression that we should be honored by their presence. Not with tiny wings and cold French fries under the poutine. Too bad. I really liked the place when they opened. Pick &roll soul restaurany is gone, too. Here are picks from my last visit at Birch. As you can see, the wing size was just sad. The poutine was soggy and cold. Another bites the dust. Wondering when WBC will bail. Las time i was there it was pathetic.

Lauren-
Some of the best pizza (recently) has been from the abeetz pizza truck. I’m very much a traditionalist and their pepperoni pie is very good. Also saw an article about Pelham pizza being 40 y/o. Their regular pies are excellent NY style slice joint - getting hard to find, but their sausage slice is exceptional. Large chunks of sausage (NOT SLICES) are strewn across the pie along with extra dollops of sauce. One slice is very filling. Abeetz has a web-site showng where they will be each day.

2 Likes

I went right for the Abeetz truck at the Burger & Beer blast a few months back on your suggestion. So glad I did. Fantastic. I enjoyed their white pizza as well. Definitely follow-worthy. Thanks again! :slight_smile:

We ate some decent Greek food this summer in Warwick, NY at Opa Greek Grill. The staff mentioned that they had more that one restaurant and that they would be opening in upper Westchester. I didn’t think about it again until I saw a post on another food forum announcing a new Greek restaurant “Opa Opa Fresh” that would be opening in Bronxville. To whom it may concern, you know who you are, sorry for stealing your thread, it wasn’t intentional … please feel free to share what is posted here.

They may already be in upper Westchester, it’s possible I got it wrong. This is not the Greek food of Queens or even Elia Taverna under it’s original owners, however it is not terrible. The restaurant will probably do incredibly well in Bronxville. I believe the menus in each location vary, it will be interesting to see what they do in Westchester. The prices in Warwick are fair for quality and quantity. I’m posting a link to the Warwick location to give you an idea http://www.opagreekgrillwarwick.com/

The red pepper spread was delicious, had a nice kick and my favorite

DH’s gyro platter was excellent the Greek fries although not traditional were delicious
not sure why his hand looks ginormous in this pic ew it doesn’t look like this in person

Beet salad with feta was good, the dressing a balsamic vinaigrette, was a bit of a let down
I prefer red wine vinegar, oil and oregano
IMG_6389

1 Like

I tried Abeetz a couple of months ago and it was excellent. They’re at an office building on Pleasantville Road in Briarcliff Manor on Wednesdays. I need to get back there. Anyone else in the area free for lunch on Wednesdays?

They’re opening in Bronxville where Sammy’s used to be per the “other board”. Not quite “Upper” Westchester.

Oh wait, I see you mentioned Bronxville. Never mind :slight_smile:

I did not do a good job of explaining what I remembered of the information I was given, in the post above so let me try to clarify. I thought I recalled the owners and staff saying that they were expanding into upper Westchester, I was surprised to read that they will be opening in Bronxville because I lived in the neighboring village and I’m certain I would have remembered had they said they were planning on opening in Bronxville.
It is possible that they already are in upper Westchester, but under a different name. They may in fact have been planning to open another upper Westchester location. I think they mentioned that more than one family member owns/operates several different restaurants.This is the long version! I’ll ask for further clarification next time I am there, apologies for any confusion.

Bill - I wish I could. I work in the Bronx all week. Good to know we can get get an Abeetz fix so close! They were at Greeley homecoming last Friday. I was so excited. What a great idea - the students all flocked to that truck (for good reason). As always, the margarita was a hit.

What do you want to bet that they will raise their prices 30-50% for their Bronxville location?

Real estate in Warwick does not come cheap either … they will most likely adjust up or down depending on the current market regardless of where they go I suppose. The restaurant is being opened by the sister of the owner of Opa Greek Grille in Warwick, she owns other Westchester restaurants. The owner George was very nice on the telephone but was not as forthcoming as the previous people I spoke with so I did not ask him which ones. I will ask next time I am there as planned.
EDIT: It is nice to see something other than a bank or real estate office opening in Bronxville … this is a good sign