Regional Chinese roundup 3.0 (SF Bay Area)- December 2018 - October 2019 archive

The Regional Chinese Roundup 3.0 thread got too long, so old responses now live here.

Open

• dumpling station ( Sunnyvale) Shanghainese. Soup filled Sheng Jian bao look awesome.

Closed

1 Like

Closed as per yelp

Open

• Hu Tong Jian Bing at 140 S. B St in San Mateo has original, curry chicken, beef stew, roasted duck Jian bing. They’ve been open 10 days, and it’s a pop-up a business that (used to be?) Elixiria. The guy I spoke to said the owner is from Beijing, and started cooking Jian bing at the Berkeley uji time location. The batter is wheat flour and water, and these have a crispy wonton rather than a you tiao (long savory doughnut).
1 Like

The Express headline used the spelling “Yuen” but most references use the spelling “Yuan.”

from EB Express:

Although I didn’t love everything on the menu at Xiang Yuan Xiao Long Bao, I’ve come back several times for the xiao long bao and sheng jian bao. There might be better xiao long bao out there if you’re willing to spend an hour driving and many more hours waiting, but at Xiang Yuan Xiao Long Bao, you don’t have to. It’s a place where you can easily get above-average, reasonably priced dumplings any day of the week — and that in itself makes it worth a visit.

Xiang Yuan Xiao Long Bao
1668 E. 14th St., San Leandro
510-351-6698
Mon.-Sun 10:30 a.m.-9:30 p.m.
Cash, all major credit cards

Sample Menu
Pork xiao long bao (6) … $6.95
Pan-fried pork bun (6) … $9.25
Chicken with wine sauce … $7.95
Cucumber with garlic sauce … $6.95
Meatball in brown sauce … $14.95

1 Like

The San Mateo Eden Silk Road, once Uyghur food with random Chinese dishes, has had skewer and hot pot menus for a while. Anyone been or had their “Chao Shan beef hotpot?” They are next door to Little Sheep, so probably get overflow.

That’s the weirdest combo- Uyghur food and Teochew hotpot?

• Qin-Tang Charm (Cupertino), a Shaanxi style (Qin cuisine) restaurant presumably named after dynasties in which the capital was roughly (present day Shaanxi capital) Xi’an (historically Chang’an) . The “Qin-Tang fried chicken legs” appears in yelp photos to be Gourd-shaped Roasted Chicken 葫芦鸡, a dish I don’t recall seeing locally before. Pretty pictures. Anyone know if this is connected to Xi’an Kitchen in Mipitas (an ABC/google search inconclusively hinted at that)

• Xiang Xiang noodle in Cupertino is closed.

2 Likes

Royal Feast in Millbrae has a version, but I think it’s a duck though. (pre-order item) https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17264749_1200584380040781_7410949475158029543_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=9735dd3ce8c699459c257e2122243bf7&oe=5CC6592E

1 Like

it’s apparently one of the most famous dishes of Shaanxi. Maybe hard to find because it’s a very laborious process to make. Final product looks like an ancient version of KFC here.

2 Likes

The restaurant has Soleil Ho’s name written all over it.

1 Like

What do you know that we don’t?

Nothing. I think one of her intro articles says that she likes Shaanxi food.

1 Like
  • Hanlin Tea Restaurant on Kearny’s website says, “We will be closed permanently after 12/31/2018. We apologize for any inconvenience”. I wonder what happened there?

Two Shanghai closures

• Gourmet Noodle House on Geary (according to yelp, plus it didn’t look open when I drove by the other day)
  • Shanghai Gourmet (Walnut Creek).

Open

Also, someone on Chinese language Facebook group SFHappyeaters reports that Yang Kong Street, a US-based restaurant Taiwanese-ish/dim sum seeming to aim for a Din Tai Fung vibe, has opened in a MIlpitas mall.

According to a Portland paper, "Yong Kang Street Noodle and Dumpling House is a franchise of a Las Vegas-founded dim sum spot with locations in the New York area, conceived by food court management company HIG Management "

Looks like they have Franchises in Houston, and the northeast too, and the locations seem to have some autonomy. The restaurant’s Vegas Facebook page shows DTF-level XLB, but Yelp photos show machine-made ones, cracked and spilling into metal cups. Will the local one be up to Milpitas standards?

I believe Yong Kang Jie is a famous food street in Taipei.

• Mr. Szechuan replaces Lollipot on 19th & Taraval Parkside, SF. Sichuan, hotpot, drypot, roasted fish, some popular newer dishes. Dongbei page has lots of Chinese American on it.
  • Noodle Home (Castro Valley) Chinese name translates to “Northwest Hand Pulled Noodles”, similar stuff as Shaanxi restaurants. I wonder the chef is from recently closed Northwest Noodle House in San Jose.
  • Beijing Chef (Pleasanton) yelp pics show Peking duck
  • Royal Cuisine (Cupertino) Northeastern … and Sichuan of course!

January 28, 2019

The Future of Chinese Food in San Francisco

What: Panelists Carolyn Jung, Luke Tsai, and Jonathan Kauffman will explore the Chinese food landscape in the Bay Area, including regional cuisines, what’s trending, and what to order. All Under Heaven author Carolyn Phillips moderates. Appetizers like dongbei potstickers and wild mushroom egg rolls come from China Live.
Details: Held from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. at China Live, 644 Broadway. Tickets cost $25 for SFPFS members and $65 for everyone else.

In their landmark Guide to Regional Chinese Cuisines published in 2018, the San Francisco Chronicle said "Chinese food in Northern California has never been more varied and exciting.” In this panel discussion we will explore the Chinese food landscape in the Bay Area and where it is heading. We will learn about the regional cuisines represented locally and hear about what’s trending, tips on finding great restaurants and what to order. Our panelists include local food writers Carolyn Jung, author of the popular food blog, FoodGal; SF Magazine’s Food Editor, Luke Tsai & SF Chronicle Food Reporter, Jonathan Kauffman. Our moderator is Carolyn Phillips, author of All Under Heaven

https://crm.sfpfs.com/public/event/details/9a34c5b3f50d3d3da842b8509c76207f6a3586aa/1?fbclid=IwAR0rwjdr9QyMjppcefz_-ihF457gqI4qtn4JY_ZfimQ2pksbWSrVC-WE_VI

2 Likes

What, no Hyperbowler or SCK!? I’m gonna boycott this event!

1 Like