Regional Chinese roundup 3.0 (SF Bay Area)- December 2017 - December 2018 archive

Oh no!

Closures

Openings:

• Dynasty Pot (San Leandro) hot pot
  • 88 Bao Bao (Dublin) buns and dumplings
  • Bao Bao House (Millbrae)
  • Famous Dumpling House (San Jose) dumplings, noodles, Korean style zha Jiang mian and Korean style cold noodles (naengmyeon). Menu says in Chinese something like “Hometown wheaten food from Shandong”
  • Ding’s Kitchen (Sunnyvale) hand-made noodles, Sichuan, roast fish, pancakes (xian bing I think), frozen dumplings
  • Sweet Box (SF Inner Richmond) no online menu on yelp, looks like hot pot + presumably drinks/desserts
  • MOMO Noodle, a food truck, mentions “family recipes” for what they refer to as “bĂ n miĂ n”. Anyone have insights into their brief menu? I thought “bĂ n miĂ n” was the same as “lo mein” (the Cantonese dredged egg noodles, not the Northeast Chinese American derivative), but the dishes, have more of a Sichuanish persuasion, perhaps the owner’s contemporary spin.

Ban mian, as I know it, has two forms. The Shanghai style, which is typically a light dish consisting of drained noodles which are “tossed,” not drained, by the eater, in a bit of hot seasoned oil, scallions, and other dry items. It’s somewhat similar to the Shaanxi you po che mian.

There’s also a meatier “Sichuan-style” ban mian which seem to me to be the same dish as Uyghur geiro lagman.

The common thread seems to be that they are “topped” like spaghetti. The Momo truck seems to be specializing in creative (and delicious-looking) variants. Where did you see this truck?

Shanghai-style ban mian at Gourmet Noodle House

"Sichuan style" ban mian at Shandong Gourmet

1 Like

Eater mentioned that Tai Chi Jianbing is no longer operating as a pop-up, and is now focussing on catering. Major bummer for many of us, but hopefully a lucrative business opportunity for owner Cheng Hu.

Not a great business model to charge $8 for something your most motivated customers are used to paying 50¢ for. I’d probably try it once if I were in the area for old times sake, then never again.

Hunan place in San Bruno:

1 Like