Regional Cantonese Dim Sum roundup (SF Bay Area)

Alright, I updated the maps once more this time with yelp listings and alphabetized the places on Hungry Onion (I give up on alphabetizing on Google Maps, having them color coded is good enough… if anyone has some thoughts and suggestions that would be great). If we have a separate thread for the dim sum restaurants, feel free to post here/update the wiki and we can have a mini span.

Note, I haven’t been to most of the places South-East of San Mateo nevermind the large number of places in San Francisco itself. If I’m missing anything, toss it in the topic. I dread trying to update the normal/banquet restaurant list now…

Golden Palace in Cupertino, dim sum menu attachedgoldenpalacedimsummenu.pdf (826.1 KB)

1 Like

I would classify Dol Ho (correct spelling) in SF Chinatown as a sit down. Lots of old geezers (and geezesses) like me sit there and eat the good cheap dim sum while reading their Chinese paper or iPhone (me). Not elegant, but sit down for sure. Very much like Hong Kong dives.

Classifying as sit down vs take out is tricky. I would classify Wing Lee Bakery as take out but they have tables and chairs. Difference may be that at Dol Ho the tables are quite full, unlike at Wing Lee.

Thanks!

Do they actually come out and serve you tea? Its been a very very long time since I actually set foot there. I’m just merely differentiating them by tea service (aka, if they give you a pot of tea and such). But yeah I have no issue moving them around if so or you have a better idea of just separating them. There are some fusion restaurants or little sit down snacks that… technically have dim sum items so that’s a bit tricky for me to decide.

I also realized I didn’t even touch the North Bay haha. I’m certain they have dim sum north of SF but I honestly don’t go there…

Yes, they bring out a pot of tea. Not anything fantastic, but tea. Their chili sauce is one of the best around with preserved veg providing crunch and flavor, etc.

Just noticed my favorite takeout dimsum purveyor isn’t listed–iCafe on Waverly Place in Chinatown. Only takeout seller I’ve found in SF that has the crispy baked bbq pork bun (Tim Ho Wan style) except theirs is huge. They once had a fabulous baked chicken bao, which they only made a couple of batches in the morning and which quickly sold out, but I believe they stopped making them.

2 Likes

Don’t bother for Dim Sum. Marin is very weak in that department

Huh, I’ve always thought that place was more of a bakery. Do they sell other items besides bao?

I kinda figured but couldn’t hurt to incorporate them if possible.

Santa Rosa has Hang Ah. Scratches an itch.

Man I really don’t want to update the wiki. :confused: makes me sad

2 Likes

These days, some dimsum restaurants are selling their dimsums to go or uncooked or partially cooked. E.g. Koi Palace and R&G.

Yeah I got some stuff from koi. My parents actually quite like their frozen spare ribs. Somehow, never could make it taste like that nor get the spare ribs that soft at home.

Some bright news. Tai Yuan reopened and they have a relatively large dim sum menu as well (I’ll find a picture… somewhere). Ordered it over the weekend and they even had the seafood dumpling in soup! Very happy. Good news is that dinner reopened for them as well

I have to say I am not hot on takeout dim sum unless its the cook/ finish at home type, but then it becomes too much work :sweat_smile:

1 Like

noooooooooo lol. Fair enough. I live close enough to Koi/Tai Yuan that the food is still hot enough that its not a disaster.

I will say the take home Koi stuff was pretty good!

1 Like

We went to Lai Hong Lounge yesterday after they recently reopened after a couple years closed due to the pandemic and a lengthy remodel. It was our favorite non “modern” (ie Dragon Beaux, Palette) before the pandemic and judging from yesterday, still will be. We had the normal stuff along with clam noodles. The remodel added a new chandelier, new carpet, a couple (new I think?) private rooms, redone bathrooms, etc.

And it was packed the whole time we were there — we got there around 11:30 and lucked into only waiting 10 minutes but there was a line the whole time and when we left at 1:15.

6 Likes

As we visit East Ocean Seafood/Alameda on a regular basis (weekdays ONLY; being retired we don’t hassle with weekends) I thought I’d update folks. We feel some of the dim sum has improved quite a bit, although there are still weak points - which is true of all of the competition, to be sure.

Excellent:
Har gow
Siu mai
Combination meat dumplings (steamed)
Gai lan with oyster sauce

Very good:
Wu kok, mashed taro with ground pork filling
Hom Sui Gok (note: the menu lists them as "Fried Meat Filled Dumplings”),
Har cheong fun, rice noodle roll with shrimp
Cheong fun XO, rice noodle rolls with XO sauce
Ngau Yiuk Yuen, beef meatballs

Good:
Lo Bak Ko, pan-fried turnip cake (this was notable; I usually rate this as only “Fair”, but this time there was less rice flour used, so it wasn’t quite so heavy)
Dan tat, custard tarts
Gai Bao, chicken bao

Skip:
XLB (true of any Cantonese dim sum place except Koi and Yank Sing, in our experience)

While we were waiting for a take-out order, they gave us some Hot and Sour Soup. Long ago we tried EO’s hot and sour soup, as Spouse is very fond of it. That was at least a couple of decades back, and we don’t recall being impressed with it. The old Restaurant Chu on College Avenue used to have a very good if unusual version, adding in some edamame beans. Richmond’s Sichuan Fusion’s version has varied over the years, depending on who was in the kitchen.

Although EO’s new version of this soup isn’t quite at the top level, it is much closer than the “old” EO came. This was lively with a well-judged hit of vinegar, and chile-hot at just the right level. It had a nice level of vegetables and mushrooms, although light on the dried lily buds and missing the dow fu, aka tofu. It would make a good starter soup and we enjoyed it very much.

Chow Fun. We prefer the “with gravy” style. We loathe beansprouts so avoid dry-fried noodle dishes. East Ocean’s Beef with Scrambled Egg and the Shrimp with Scrambled Egg are both excellent. Do keep in mind EOS is one of the very few Chinese restaurants now that tends to be low-salt. The shrimp especially is a very subtle dish so you may want to add a bit of salt or soya to it, altho we like it the way it is.

Right now when you order bok choy they are using the smaller sizes - not quite baby bok choy, but close. I dislike the big watery bok choy, but the smaller bok choy are excellent. Sichuan Fusion/Richmond does an outstanding baby bok choy throughout the winter months.

Also, per their website it looks like their sushi DR/take-out is now open in their smaller, former secondary DR off to the left of the main entrance. We haven’t tried it yet.

We visited Mayflower/Dublin recently and I’ll report on that later.

5 Likes

Lai Hong Lounge was much better than I thought. I thought Chinatown dimsum might lag behind suburb joints. But I was wrong. They were very solid.

The best: shiu mai. Most joints do a lousy job with shiu mai. Its like a poor cousin to hargow. I have never had a decent rendition in the Bay Area until Lai Hong Lounge. Theirs are awesome.

The various shrimp based dumpling are basically variations of hargow. Which means they all tasted similar and fine.

Please skip their jiaozi. I didn’t order this. But there is a reason why you should never order a Northeast dish in a Cantonese joint.

6 Likes

So we have a new dim sum restaurant in Vallejo that is part of a chain in the Bay Area. We were excited to try it and we did. I will not discuss it. Enough said. I want to discuss Asia Pearl in the 99 Ranch mall in Richmond. We have been going here for ages. It has had it’s ups and downs over the years and for a while we stopped going because we thought the quality of the food had diminished. Around Covid time it closed for an extended time for a renovation and remodeling. When it reopened we decided to give it a try again. I am happy to say the quality of the food is back to where it was when it was at it’s peak. We regularly go or get takeout. They have a tendon dish that we really love. I can’t find it on the online menu but it’s on the menu at the restaurant.

3 Likes

Last Weekend my husband and I went to Asian Pearl Seafood Restaurant at the Pacific East Mall in Richmond. We usually order about 4 dishes which makes for a satisfying lunch. This last time here are the things we ate:

Steamed Shrimp dumpling. A very fresh tasting well executed version.

Pan fried sticky rice. Extremely satisfying. Perfectly cooked sticky rice with deep wok-char goodness.

Steamed tendon. This is one of our favorite more recent discoveries here. The tendon has that satisfying jelly-like collagen unctuousness combined with delicious 5 spice and umami flavors. Amazing dish. Served on top of delicious kabocha squash cubes.

Dried scallop dumpling. One of our favorite dishes here. It’s an umami bomb with layers of delicious flavors. We always order this.

8 Likes

Holy carp, that tendon looks amazing! And the beauty of it, at least for me, is that I’d get the whole dish, since Mrs. ricepad is not a fan!

2 Likes