Refried Pintos?

Do you simply rinse and cook them, or soak them overnight beforehand (like I do my chickpeas for falafel/hummus), and what are the advantages of either?

I soak my pinto beans overnight. Rinsing them doesn’t seem to get all of the dirt off, but an overnight soak and rinse does.
Funny you should mention this, I’m soaking some pinto beans tonight (overnight), then I’ll rinse them and into the slow cooker tomorrow morning with some corn and chopped onion.
I don’t know if I’ll pair the soup with arepas or grilled cheese. I’ll see what Sunshine is in the mood for (tomorrow).

1 Like

I rinse pinto beans, then soak them in water with a large pinch of salt for about six hours. Then I rinse them and cook them in fresh water with a large pinch of salt.

1 Like

@ScottinPollock I tried to get a picture of the dirt that came off my soaked pinto beans (this morning), but it just didn’t turn out.
In the past (when I didn’t soak them and just rinsed them) I found dirt in the bottom of my slow cooker. That doesn’t happen when I soak them overnight and rinse them.
Sunshine gave me a “thumbs up” on the broth the beans are slow cooking in and is looking forward to dinner later tonight.

1 Like