Red Fox (Middletown, CT)

Directly across from Kaman, where Fong’s was for years, is what you might call Luce West. If some of the staff looks familiar to you, yes, that’s where they came from. :smile:

Hard to believe the humble, not-at-all fanciness of Fong’s has been transformed into such a lovely setting replete with tablecloths and Italian music. The food is great; portions are generous, service is friendly and attentive. Prices are a bit on the higher side. Look for coupons ($5 off $25; $10 off $50) in your local mailboxes, fellow M’town residents.

I only wish lunch entrees came with a salad as they do downtown at Fiore II. Oddly enough, a panino comes with choice of fries, onion rings or salad. The bread can’t touch the garlic knots at Fiore, but the dipping sauce (sundried tomatoes, red peppers and gorgonzola, reminiscent of Sammy’s on Broad Street back when) is outstanding. We ate the whole dish of it on our last visit.

Veal scallopini with spinach and mushrooms over mashed potatoes–excellent. Fettucine with blackened chicken, broccoli and tomatoes in an Alfredo sauce–equally excellent and such a generous portion, it yielded two large lunches for me. Beef ravioli were also nicely done and served with a chunky tomato sauce.

Don’t think just because it’s a bit out of sight, it’s not getting traffic. The word is out on this place!

http://www.redfoxct.com/

I mentioned Red Fox over at the other place…What a find. Some staff/relatives from Luce, the pleasant waitress told me. That was gorgonzola in the dipping sauce? I’d go back for sure

Yes, I heard the same and yes, I believe so re gorgonzola as our people tend to use that rather than straight up blue cheese. Then again, these folks are from Montenegro, so maybe they favor other blues. In any case, eeyee-ahhhh, delish.