Red Flags on Menus?

and then there’s me, child of an engineer, who likes looking at them to figure out how they’re made and how they make it look so real. Does nothing at all to whet my appetite (not at all fascinated by obviously plastic things done up to look like an unattainable ideal) but the process and production is interesting.

1 Like

That looks so good, and I don’t particularly like sweets. Because it seems more interesting than sweet.

I don’t take pictures of food when eating out but take photos of my food so I can remember what I made so I can possibly make it again. But it’s never the same which is not a bad thing

2 Likes

I’m the same Scooby . Cooking would be so boring for me if it was always the same . I probably couldn’t make it the same way twice anyway , I cook with no written recipe .

2 Likes

“Certfied Organic” because if you knew what ADM, Cargill and ConAgra and other agribusinesses and their lobbyists did to that legislation you would never bother to buy organic again.

1 Like

Howdy @VikingKaj

I went to a new restaurant tonight. They have market priced (which I can’t stand) “eco fish” of the day. The species isn’t listed on the menu.

What makes a fishery sustainable? Is there an actual government or “Fish and game” certification?

Is this just a marketing gimmick/buzz term to move less desirable fish?

Seriously. Are there any fish world-wide, that can be eaten without us ingesting poison?

Sustainability is not the same as nontoxic.

Sustainability reders to the vigor of the species and whether we can consume that species without bring about the extinction of that species.

Here is the most commonly referenced list:
http://www.seafoodwatch.org

Toxic refers to compounds found in the fish itself. In general, higher predators (like shark) have higher levels of toxins as they take on the contamination of yhe entire food chain. Farmed fish is a concern, and I did my best to find a link, but couldnt find a reliable list on my phone that wasnt full of dodgy clickbait. Will update when I’m on my computer.

3 Likes

Honestly people taking pics of food while out, was honestly a YUGE pet peeve of mine. I don’t know why but it’ just always annoyed me, now thanks to my participation on Chow and here I’ve become my own pet peeve. Yes, some of my friends make fun of me too…it’s not easy being a food blogger. (I don’t know is that what we are?)

3 Likes

I swallowed a few gold fish in my youth which I’m pretty sure were poison free.

1 Like

Eco Fish=Farm Raised Tilapia grown in a paddy.

Taste like mud.

Or salmon grown in a pen and fed orange food color.

Taste like Purina salmon chow.

Anything else regarding sustainable fishing is just industry propaganda to be swallowed, both figuratively and literally, by incurious hipsters.

2 Likes

Well most of the toxins including lead, PCBs and pesticides, concentrate in belly fat since they are fat soluble.

So if you cut the belly fat off your tuna and salmon catch you are usually ok.

I find it highly ironic that it is just those cuts (toro, harasa) that are so highly prized by the Japanese and hipster sushi aficionados in ie. NYC, as they are the most toxic.

1 Like

Eeuuwww. Carp !

The Eco Fish website:

http://www.ecofish.com/about/approvedspecies.htm

I notice the state of Alaska is involved, so I would expect this is in response to a perception that wild caught is not eco friendly.

The site further refers to purse seining and trawling, which if you know anything about fishing are pretty destructive methods no matter how you spin them.

Again, industry hou haa for hipsters, soccer moms and other eco weenies who don’t have a clue, kinda like “Certfied Organic”.

It is my understanding that a sustainable fishery follows the guidelines set by the Marine Stewardship Council to limit the number of fishing licenses and abides by their quotas and set fishing seasons. An example of a sustainable fishery is Pacific halibut.

What is the MSC?

The Marine Stewardship Council is an international non-profit organisation established to address the problem of unsustainable fishing and safeguard seafood supplies for the future. https://www.msc.org/about-us/what-we-do

1 Like

Me too. :wink:

9 Likes

Wow, wish I had known they could be dangerous!

2 Likes

The ironic thing about fish is that if unlike other food proteins, one can’t claim organic for the best ones, i.e. The ones swimming freely in the ocean, because they eat whatever they want in the water. Maybe they can think about ‘free range’ instead if people don’t understand wild caught is good stuff. As its pointed out, farmed is just a pale alternative.

With that said , we are literally eating up many species in the water, so we may have to live with farmed and ‘eco farmed’ stuff in the future

3 Likes