Red Boat Fish Sauce At Trader Joe's? [Bay Area]

At the very least Andrea probably knows the distributor. She had samples of Red Boat products to give out at her Banh Mi handbook book signing. Her Twitter handle is @aqnguyen

Good Eggs, Sur la Table and Walmart.com carries it at around $8. I guess its around, just not as economical as TJ.

I picked it up at Whole Foods San Mateo. $8.99 I believe. Guess I overpaid! It’ll make its way to a marinade for pork secreto next weekend. For now I’m experimenting with making hot sauces with it.

Duc Loi at Mission and 18th sells it and seems to have quite a bit of it. Not sure about the price, though. Powerful stuff…

3 Likes

In Asia, fish sauce is never refrigerated. It is mostly salt and water, I suspect shelf life does not apply.

1 Like

I saw it at $8.99 at Manila Market in SF for a 17oz bottle.

I bought a 17oz Red Boat bottle today at $8.79 at H Mart. This, and the one Mr Happy saw at Manila are both cheaper than TJ’s per oz.

2 Likes

Officially, it is usually around 1.5 years - 2 years.

Personally I bought 8 to 9 bottles in 2012 in Hanoi and have them shipped back to France by boat, and I’m finishing my last bottle now in 2017. I didn’t sense the last bottles they have changed in taste. After opening I put them in the fridge, which I don’t think it is necessary. I read an article that putting in fridge will increase the salt residues, the taste will be less salty and you will need to use more to achieve the same taste compared to the bottles that aren’t refrigerated.

1 Like

Perhaps the price is going down in response to increased visibility and demand. If so, they can thank Andrea Nguyen.

Now we can start a search for the 60°N stuff.

Is there any 60°N offering now?

If there is such a thing, wouldn’t that just mean the liquid being more concentrated and less volume is needed when used?

I was a bit confused. I thought Andrea Nguyen had written or lectured about a 60°N Red Boat, but they apparently only offer 40°N and 50°N strengths.

Andrea did write about a tasting that included a 60°N from a Red Boat competitor.

Red Boat is back at TJ (Palo Alto). $4.49 for 250ml.

2 Likes