Red Bank redux version 2.0 [NJ]

I like mine with the crispy potatoes and the sinister sauce. But I thought they still had the “love” version on the menu.

Has anyone ever had the tomahawk pork chop?

Sorry, just saw this now.

For burgers Oyster Point is good, has a great view, and relatively quick service if you ask. It also has white table cloths, one of the few places in RB that does. Always a winner for us.

Burger at B2 bistro is also ok but patrons are obnoxious, it’s loud, and service is not quick after 6:30.

For other quick bites Pho Le (@joonjoon) Muang Thai, Oriental Empire and Front Street Trattoria all have relatively quick service if you go early and let them know. And they all have decent food. Zaitooni deli is a winner too, but closes at 6. The bar at the Pitcher is also good, relatively quick and has a reasonably priced menu.

Other places mentioned in the thread or close to Basie:

Catch: burned, and I mean burned, my wife’s scallops the last time we were there. They comped them, but we haven’t been back. Haven’t tried the steak @seal.

Dish: Was good 8 years ago, but has gotten old. They have had the same short ribs on the menu for 10 years now. Also noisy.

Jamians: Basically bar food if you are into that. They have card games after 10 pm.

Carlos O’Connors: I know the original chef personally. After he left this has been so awful for so long that I would need to see several positive reports before I would even consider.

Red Rocks: Haven’t been. Old Branigans was good until they fired the cook three years ago, it was a secret favorite.

Dublin House: Worst, and I mean worst, Irish American food on the planet. They pour a mean pint of Guinness however, and that, at least, is always fresh.

Teak: Strange Asian fusion place with a real hit or miss, but mostly miss, menu. It is just down the street from the Basie.

Buona Sera: Expensive Jersey Italian with obsequious service if you are the mayor or pave the GSP. Otherwise notsomuch. Next door to Basie. They do have table cloths, amarone and a $ 40 veal chop Parmesan.

San Remo: Used to be good 10 years ago, then they moved to the old Little Kraut loco and went sort of sideways downhill. Service is indifferent and food can be good but usually isn’t. See @NotJrvedivici’s recent review which IMO is accurate.

Danny’s: Meh. I’ve had some ok meals there but also not so good. It seems expensive for what you get and I’m not sure I would want to look in the kitchen. Sushi rolls surprisingly ok, but these are on the spendy side, and feature all the usual Jersey suspects in terms of fish sorts.

Robinson Ale House: a McClone.

Runa Peruvian: Literally across the street from Basie, food and service hit or miss. Not crazy about their cebiche, which is house specialty.

Brothers Pizza: Red Bank’s living room. Very good thin crust pizza and calamari. Pull in there at 4pm and sit at the bar if you want a big slice of local.

The best places to eat in RB in my book are Via 45, the Molly Pitcher, and Oyster Point. The food and service at these restaurants is at a level above other places in town and is consistently good. For Via 45 you will need to reserve at least two weeks in advance, they have a very dedicated group of regulars there.

Unfortunately the Jersey shore singularity seems to hold especially true in Red Bank, ie:

Liquor license + Mediocre Food = “Successful” Restaurant

Hope you had a nice evening and enjoyed the concert.

1 Like

Has anyone been to patrizias lately? Also, I believe the 10th Ave burrito place is now some other burrito place. Any reports?

Also, any news on triumph brewery and what will be going in the old chicky boom location?

I heard old chikyboom was going to be a Jewish deli, which I hope is good because we could use something like that.

I kind of wonder about the permitting process in town, because some things seem to be up quickly and others take forever.

What about sea bright? I hear that place is insanely corrupt. Woodys opens up immediately after Sandy and the mad hatter stays closed for years…then gets finally torn down.

And yes a Jewish deli would be awesome if they out out quality product.

Are there any good pickle bars around besides harolds?

I got a pickle for ya right here CJ !!! (I don’t know why I’m picking on you so much lately. lol Actually I do @VikingKaj is paying me, times are tough I gotta get cash where I can sorry CJ) Where the hell as @MZ been? Hello MZ you still around buddy?

Anywho…yes I can confirm a Jewish Deli is suppose to be relocating into the old Joe’s location. I was sorry to see Joe’s close, I respected their attempt to ride it out vs. Starbucks across the street. Red Bank pretty much jumped the shark for me when Chase took over the old (name escapes me) five and dime type store that was there forever. Plus I still have no idea how the f’ Tiffany’s is making it.

Excellent list @VikingKaj I concur with most of your assessments, I was very disappointed with San Remo on my last visit as you mentioned. I haven’t been to Oyster Point in years…I thought at one point they closed their kitchen and were only doing banquets? I haven’t been there in 15+ years, nice to know they are doing ala carte again. They use to do a hell of a happy hour 20 + years ago, live music, free food and the deck open, use to pack them in.

Teak is an odd menu, however on Monday nights they use to do 50% off the entire menu, you couldn’t go wrong with that. Not sure if they still do or not.

Buona Sera started out a 75 seat restaurant with an open kitchen where from the 2nd floor you could watch Big Mike and his crew work his magic. Buona Sera now seats 250/300+ with the same kitchen that they started with. You can pretty much expect your typical wedding quality food, everything is pre-prepped. Low quality at high prices…however Chris has created one hell of a local brand for himself so you can’t question his business acumen. Don’t like the guy, but I do respect him.

It’s amazing to me that Danny’s has been a “steakhouse” for 30+ years yet the best thing you can get there is Sushi. The old guy hung in there long enough to see that complex built around him and I’m sure the convenience of his location will attract just enough people to see him through the balance of his retirement. Interesting side note; Danny actually retired from the restaurant business about 20 years ago, they just forgot to tell him.

Muang Thai one of my personal fav’s in Red Bank. Since I’m trying to do the low carb thing again, I don’t go as often as I would like because I love…love…love their glass noodle dishes.

Via 45 only went once and was less than impressed, although I’m going to give it the old “It’s me not you” treatment. I think it’s just not my kind of place. (FYI I just walked in on a Fri or Sat night around 6pm-ish and was seated, albeit at a communal table)

As I’ve said before when I first moved to the area 20+ years ago I loved Red Bank, original Char Cigar Club member, Buona Sera was new and EXCELLENT, even Murphy’s put out a decent steak at a decent price and you couldn’t go wrong “Murphy Style”. Those days like most of my hair are now long gone…and I’ve never been able to get “into” the Red Bank scene since.

I havent had that chop but it is on my list.

So what is the deal with mr pizza? Is the pizza still the same?

@NotJrvedivici I can’t handle anything you throw at me lol. So any C5 shopping? I have been looking at a c5z for a daily driver but then the C7 z51 is tempting

Dont forget Tommy’s wings. Those are a red bank winner.

Not sure if it’s a typo but you clearly wrote you _can’t handle antyhingI throw __** at you. Um…I’m sorry CJ, it’s just my sense of humor, it’s me, I’m a cyber bully…not sure why, I thought I grew up in a happy home, maybe my mom didn’t show me enough love and my dad…oh my dad just worked all the time. Never came to my little league games…My grandfather use to help coach and the other kids thought he was my father…these feelings made me sad. I’m sorry CJ, it’s me it’s nothing you’ve done.

No C5 yet, not even entertaining it till the spring. I bought myself a new “family sedan” over the summer and we just got my wife a “new” SUV. Have to sell her current / old SUV and then by spring I might start looking.

I’ve had Tommy’s wings once and they were good. I’ve had “bad business” with Tommy’s so for that reason I don’t patronize them, but again that’s me not them.

darn typo lol

do you think muang is better than Siam garden? I think siam’s food is good but they are not cheap. If cost wasn’t a factor I think Siam would edge them out.

Oh so it was a typo? Ummmmmm just ignore that other stuff up there!!

I’ve never been a fan of Siam…don’t know why but the place just never took with me. Only been there 2 or 3 times.

I agree with so much that you have said here.

Spot on with Dish. It is also SO LOUD.

We also haven’t been back to Catch since having to wait an absurd amount of time for dinner and horrible service.

Love Via, hate trying to get a reservation.

Only argument is Runa. I love their ceviche, but I can see how it would be too acidic for the masses. It is very assertive with the lime.

Have you checked out the new French spot?

By the way, my favorite restaurant these days isn’t in RB. Belford Bistro. My mouth is watering just thinking about it…

1 Like

If Belford bistro was in RB that place would be railed every night!

Has anyone been to the chowdah house lately?

BB has been better than anything Red Bank has had to offer for years now. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions–and for confirming what I had been thinking about Red Bank–that’s it’s a lot like Montclair; there’s hype about “all” the great restaurants, but there are really only 1-2 worth going to. In my case, I’d rather go have a good dinner when I’m not rushing to a show, so I’ll have to try some of these spots another time.

We ended up at Dublin Pub and it was as mediocre as I expected, but it was fine; the Smithwick’s was good and the burger didn’t kill me.

As an aside for you guitar/blues/rock fans, if you’ve never seen Joe Bonamassa live, I can’t recommend it highly enough (as long as you have ear plugs)–he’s phenomenal, and his band is stellar as well.

1 Like

Remodel was done in March after it changed hands:

I have to confess I haven’t made it yet. Brothers bar pies always get in the way. I have to check Mr Slice out. Maybe next week.

No, but if you liked the old Corner Bistro where Muang Thai is now, the chef is the same. Although I’m not big on French, and the old place was cramped, I’ve always liked his food. It should be good.

Don’t worry CJ, it’s only a half sour.

Ah Red Banc, she is the seductive mistresse.

She entices you with a flash of thigh, a throaty laugh, and a frisson of an exotic perfume. You can’t resist, it will be better than last time.

You say yes, again.

Then you wake up in an alley with your wallet missing and a splitting headache from being hit over the head with an eight ball in a sock.

Yes, Bedford Bistro is good, but if it were in Red Bank it would be over run. I’d prefer to keep it where it is and slightly off the radar.

Between Via 45, San Reemo, Boney Sera Sera and other places doing that kind of thing, my clear preference is Christine’s. Chef Ron just makes delicious food, I’ve never had a bad meal there. I don’t even mind waiting when they are busy.

@NotJrvedivici Jr have you ever had Ron do a small party for 6 to 8? I have a vip vendor coming in December and I’m wondering if Ron will do some aged rib eyes. I presume he will as he is very accomodating. Maybe a few rib eyes and a couple porterhouse for 2…or some veal saltimbocca and steaks. Shit I’m hungry now!

I’ve been with a party of 6 one time, I’m sure he would accommodate you however he can. Book early and make sure you ask for the booth/table or a round table outside. He finally got the outside to where it is useable all year. (Unless we have a deep freeze)