Recommendations for Hendaye / San Sebastian for May

Visiting San Sebastian and Madrid for a few days each this year to break up our May-June Paris sojourn. This will be our first visit to Spain outside of Barcelona.

Taking the train from Paris to Gare Hendaye mid-May. I’ll post similar on the “ites” board as well, but recommendations in San Sebastian and Hendaye most welcome (well, Madrid recs welcome surely too :grinning:). Tips at all price levels appreciated.

We will be there across a Sunday and Monday, so recs for those two days particularly appreciated, as I can already see most places are closed those days.

Was not planning on renting a car, but for a compelling recommendation, could always change plans.

@andygotttlieb42,
I’m going to assume that you’ll be traveling directly from Hendaye to San Sebastián and not spending significant time in Hendaye (??)

For San Sebastián/Donostia on Sunday/Monday, here are some nice options:

In the Old Quarter (Parte Vieja) you have the best of the best, imo, in CASA UROLA, both downstairs for pintxos (the ones prepared fresh in the kitchen and the 3 seasonal special pintxos, all found on the chalkboard menu, now explained in English) and upstairs in the dining room. It’s open on Sun./Mon. and closed on Tues/Wed. I was just there during Tamborrada. UROLA now boasts 2 Repsol suns.
https://casaurolajatetxea.es/en/

Another for wine lovers, boasting one of Europe’s most impressive wine lists and yearly winner of Wine Spectator’s Grand Award, is REKONDO on the Monte Igeldo hill with lovely terrace, great views.

If you are a fine wine lover, I would certainly prioritize REKONDO for both the excellent prices and the traditional cuisine. Again, 2 Repsol suns. Open Sun/Mon; closed Tues/Wed.

A new discovery, a recommendation of Gabriella Ranelli of Tenedor Tours (and a personal friend) is EL BISTRO ONDARRETA, in the Antiguo district, just a short walk from Ondarreta beach. We loved everything about this small French-influenced bistrot, with a small menu but every dish perfectly executed. We enjoyed a wonderful onion soup, mouth-watering pop in your mouth gougères, Iberian pork loin with mojón, grilled hake in a citron sauce and lime tarte for dessert. Both French and Spanish wines (and champagnes) and a very nice cheese course.

And for a “restaurante de producto”, there’s NARRU in the Hotel Arbaso on the square facing the Catedral del Buen Pastor, open daily, where chef Iñigo Peña has a large open kitchen and specializes in traditional Basque dishes—his txuleta (Basque rib steak), wild caught fish (both prepared on an open flame), the best vegetables and one of the best chistorras (Basque-Navarran sausage similar to chorizo but smaller) I’ve ever had anywhere. No flourishes, no foams, no tricks, just the finest raw product prepared simply. 1 Repsol sun, Michelin recommended. Enjoy a Basque steak or grilled fish in the dining room or sample from a menu of pintxos in the bar area. We enjoyed 2 meals here recently during the Tamborrada.

2 Likes

fantastic restaurant - enjoyed it more than many of the michelin *** places

1 Like

beam,
So glad you enjoyed CASA UROLA. It’s become a staple for us, the first and last place we hit on every visit to San Sebastián.

@andygottlieb42,
If you’re actually spending a night in Hendaye (??) before moving on to San Sebastián, or want a lunch place in Hendaye, there’s LA VINOTEK, with 550 labels of wines.
https://www.la-vinotek.com.

For Madrid suggestions, it would be better to start a thread on the Spain/Portugal forum. I have lots and lots of ideas, depending on your dining, style, price, what type of cuisine and where you’ll be staying.

2 Likes