recent manhattan chinatown bites

The Grub Street article later that year was a bit more sinister about the new one telling fake tales about its connection to the original

I liked the dishes at the first spot. Also the big tray chicken was super.

But as always, the fun group was delightful.

1 Like

Hi all! I haven’t eaten at any of these Manhattan bánh mì places in quite a while – how would you say these compare to Ba Xuyen in Brooklyn, if you’re familiar with that? The sense I’ve gotten over the years is that Ba Xuyen is pretty tough to beat.

@Saregama had suggested we get banh mi that might show off the skills of each kitchen, and I’m glad we did. As I’d mentioned before, I’d make a meal just of those meatballs. I’d noted at the shop that the listed ingredients, on the menu above the counter, are “pork & water chestnut.” I hadn’t noted till today, however, that the Vietnamese name is bĂĄnh mĂŹ xiĂȘu máșĄi, that is, “shumai,” like a favorite cheung fun filling of ours on a subsequent crawl.

2 Likes

pork bun from mei lai wah with some store bought chili crisp

3 Likes

How big is your files of physical menus? Do you still keep paper copies now that one can take a photo of the menu (or find them online)?

Indeed, it would be fun to create wallpaper out of menus

Is Num Pang still around?

Not large; perhaps three file drawers’ full. They’re handier and easier to read than digital copies. For certain restaurants, I keep successive dated copies, to help track the evolution of prices, dishes, menu categories, and even menu design.

3 Likes

You’re the man I always wished I was. I’ve some old menus tucked away here and there, but not systematically.

For those interested in such things:

https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/collections/the-buttolph-collection-of-menus#/?tab=navigation

https://menus.nypl.org/

1 Like

Doesn’t look like it. There’s Thanh Da, but I’ve never been impressed with that.

1 Like

I’d passed up Tao Hong’s egg tarts many times while skirting the line for roast meats outside Wah Fung, next door. Thanks to DinerEnBlanc, on the FoodNYC subreddit, for pointing the way.

4 Likes

I’ve walked in there but was a little put off by the dingy, even by Chinatown standards, interior. The egg tart does look wonderful!

We had a Portuguese bakery in westchester that substituted cookie for pastry crust, don’t think I’ll find it in Chinatown. I had a client in Newark and wandered around the ironbound a couple of afternoons to no avail. Starting to think I’ll have to make it myself.

What do you think of wah fung? I’ve found it uneven,
I do like the way their sauce and drippings run into the rice. I wonder if the unevenness has to do with the different types of meat they serve. Maybe their duck is better than the chicken for instance.

Cmon, you did not find your way to Texeira’s Bakery on the main drag? Maybe I will go out there and snare some if we have a suitable meetup. If I remember correctly they have several varieties of the egg tarts. I dont personally see the cookie dough substitution working. Did it?

Linking our Bo Ky meal

I’m sad Saigon Deli has been showing as “temporarily closed” for a while now – really hope they are on vacation and coming back soon.

ETA: never mind. closed for reno till early may. PHEW!

Sorry Jen, just saw this, texiera’s was very good but no cookie crust, and yes, ithe cookie crust was very good. I recall it was a graham cracker crust, non-traditional but it always sold out first.

The bakery was run by two young pastry chefs who blended traditional and modern in delicious ways. Our whole community was sad when they closed. But now, in its place is a coffee shop with the best croissant we’ve had outside of Paris!

Crispy shui mai cheung fun (King’s)

Salt-baked / S&P Soft shell crabs (HK cafe)

4 Likes

Spicy Village. Big tray of chicken good as usual. Spicy hand pulled noodles with Brisket was good tho only now I realize it was supposed to be spicy. Maybe they tone it down for tourists.
But I forget how good their dumplings are, combined with their 7 spice Scallion sauce. Really excellent stuff.

IMG_0906

2 Likes