recent manhattan chinatown bites

We leave in 2 weeks and will be gone thru May, back around June 6th. I can try to put something together for Wu’s the week of April 18-22 if everyone wants; otherwise, June? Maybe a group message for the 4 of us who are interested so far, so we can establish a date, then we can come back here and ask if more want to join? 8 is a good # in my opinion.

1 Like

I could do 4/18, 4/19 or 4/20.

June is good, I’m not back yet.

Let’s leave this open for a while, and we can post closer so anyone from the area can join, there’s a large HO contingent in the general area.

Im interested but will be away June and July, mostly

If you need to suppress numbers for what seems a fun event, spread the rumor that I’ll be there. That’ll get rid of the lily-livered.*

• But between you and me and @Saregama, I’m
    a) too lily-livered to eat-in just yet, and
    b) after a pleasantish spring in my country apartment in Manhattan, I’ll be packing up next week for my city home in Cambridge, MA.

If there’s communal food in the air in the fall, I’m possibly in to sniff at it.

If we actually get this going and enjoy it, we can ostensibly do it a couple of times a year.

1 Like

A good idea. And with Dave Cook, Jen Kalb, small_h, fooddabbler, vinouspleasure, escaped, you & I all interested, we’ll have enough of a core group to do this (it seems). First stop: June. Maybe we can get a date when Jen is in town?

1 Like

unfortunately, we are away may 17 to june 24th

Noodle Village and Wonton Noodle Garden are better. A few other places are at least equal to Wu

I’m sensing a potential window the last week of June (27th-30th).

2 Likes

Is that HK Wonton Garden on Mulberry Street?

I am glad you asked me because I then looked up and realized I made a mistake.
I should have said that I like
Noodle Village and Wonton Noodle Garden much better (not HK Wonton Garden).
HK Wonton Garden is good too.

My ranking for wonton is:
1st Noodle Village

2nd Wonton Noodle Garden on Mott Street

3rd HK Wonton Garden on Mulberry Street

1 Like

That’s clear for me so far.

Haven’t been to Wonton Noodle Garden. We’ll have to check it out.

My friend like it (Wonton Noodle Garden) the best. I like Noodle Village the best. Have fun.

1 Like

I like noodle village best in manhattan (I commented above) but imo sifu chio in flushing is better.

Thanks. I have not been to Sifu Chio. I also want to reiterate I like Wu as a restaurant.

met my son in chinatown this evening, he picked out supreme at 100 mott for soup dumplings. relatively thick skins but the broth was delicious and hard to complain about 6 dumplings for $7. we also shared a good eggplant with garlic sauce.

after dumplings, thought i’d purchase roast meat for
tomorrow, surprised to find a sign on ny noodletown stating they’d be closed mar-jun for renovations and re-opening under the same mgmt.

decided to swing by the perpetually busy yin ji chang fen and was shocked not to find a line out the door. couldnt resist and had my first yin ji changfen; huge, delicious and inexpensive!

3 Likes

I don’t know man. I like Supreme (slightly) better than Joe’s Shanghai. In addition, I am not one who believe the thinner the skin, the better. I have not been to Yin Ji in Manhattan, but I have been to Yin Ji in other locations. I like Yin Ji ok, but I don’t love it. Thanks for your reviews.

havent been to joes in 10 years so cant comment but i do like nan xiang in flushing quite a bit more than supreme. well, i did like nan xiang, haven’t been since they re-opened in new space. also i couldnt decide if kung fu in flushing was better than nan xiang but it was excellent.

after dumplings/and or soup at lan zhou (before they moved) i used to frequent the cheong fun stalls at the edge of chinatown on east broadway. the crepes were made to order and the ingredients surprisingly good. can’t imagine they survived the pandemic but will take a look next time. what places do you like more than jin yi?