recent manhattan chinatown bites

(post deleted by author)

Hm, just rechecked the menu - I’ve never been able to get it by the lb (usually don’t eat there anymore) but it is on the menu I guess - my mistake.

hey sorry @escaped , my bad, I didn’t communicate well. yes, when I was talking about roast pork I was talking about char siu. I wasn’t aware big wong had pork belly, which is called roast pig in manhattan’s chinatown. I like the pork belly at new york noodletown but do try to get a lean piece, I can’t deal with a big blob of fat between two crispy pieces of meat but realize that a lot of people love it.

sorry for the confusion!

best,

Oh no worries, it’s always hard when dealing with two languages - I’m not really native so I definitely do get mixed up at times. Totally agreed on the leaner pieces, the fat can be difficult for me no matter how well it’s rendered… I honestly haven’t found a go to place for siu yook even after all these years (hating the transliteration, no idea how to really call it in English) in Chinatown, but I haven’t been down much since covid. It’s technically not (and for native speakers please correct me if I’m butchering this) translated as roast pig, the plain translation is just roast meat, I’ve just never really gone by English names. I’ll have to give noodletown a shot though!

The elephant (ok, the pig) in the room is Wu’s. I know that it’s now over hyped and everyone’s darling, but it pretty much replaced NY Noodletown for us when we want a sit down dinner (byob) in a nicer environment. At any rate, they do a bunch of “large format” dishes, including pig, that might be interesting if you have a bunch of people going. And their “Dumplings with Bone Soup” is really good. What hasn’t gotten play is that they have the usual C’town counter in front, replete with hanging meat to go (pig, chicken, duck) by the pound or section. Given how popular they’ve gotten, I’m gonna assume that the turnover of product is up there with NY Noodletown. Worth a try. http://www.wuswontonking.com/index.html

I’d love to do a HO group meal at Wu’s over the summer if we can arrange it!

In! If I’m invited. I just invited myself, so now you need to ignore me so I go away.

1 Like

I had it once. Not bad. Overall, Wu is better at main courses in my experience. When it comes to straight-up wonton and dumplings, there are many better restaurants in Manhattan Chinatown

Which?

I think this will be a fun meal, whenever it happens!

count me in!

1 Like

I’d be up for it!

1 Like

We leave in 2 weeks and will be gone thru May, back around June 6th. I can try to put something together for Wu’s the week of April 18-22 if everyone wants; otherwise, June? Maybe a group message for the 4 of us who are interested so far, so we can establish a date, then we can come back here and ask if more want to join? 8 is a good # in my opinion.

1 Like

I could do 4/18, 4/19 or 4/20.

June is good, I’m not back yet.

Let’s leave this open for a while, and we can post closer so anyone from the area can join, there’s a large HO contingent in the general area.

Im interested but will be away June and July, mostly

If you need to suppress numbers for what seems a fun event, spread the rumor that I’ll be there. That’ll get rid of the lily-livered.*

• But between you and me and @Saregama, I’m
    a) too lily-livered to eat-in just yet, and
    b) after a pleasantish spring in my country apartment in Manhattan, I’ll be packing up next week for my city home in Cambridge, MA.

If there’s communal food in the air in the fall, I’m possibly in to sniff at it.

If we actually get this going and enjoy it, we can ostensibly do it a couple of times a year.

1 Like

A good idea. And with Dave Cook, Jen Kalb, small_h, fooddabbler, vinouspleasure, escaped, you & I all interested, we’ll have enough of a core group to do this (it seems). First stop: June. Maybe we can get a date when Jen is in town?

1 Like

unfortunately, we are away may 17 to june 24th