Raised bed gardening SOS! Help!

Get a soil test…they aren’t that expensive through your nearest agriculture extension service.

1 Like

That looks a lot like septoria leaf spot, a very common fungus.

2 Likes

I agree completely, and that is probably part of my problem, but after years of gardening in a central valley climate in Nor Cal, and keeping an eye out for the very common suspects, I also learned that some of the woes attributed to the common, and to senescence, might warrant a few other considerations, at least where it is insanely hot AND dry.

One year I had a fungus on a pepper plant, and realized just how unusual it was for me to have fungus problems here. Certainly it can happen, and you want to think horses before zebras, but I think we also need to spread information about spider mites and western flower thrips, at least in the this climate.

PS I went out and plucked most of the suspicious leaves after seeing your post!

FWIW: I see lots of possible ideas suggested here. My own first look was to think of overwatering leading to fungus, but there are certainly other options.

Regarding soil, I don’t think we’ve heard your exact mix as to its composition/brand. In the future, you might try the “soilless” mix that I and many others use: get a tarp on the lawn, and toss onto it equal parts of peat moss, coarse vermiculite (NOT perlite), and as great a variety of composts as you can locate (I usually go with manure, mushroom, chicken droppings, worm castings, and some packaged mixes.

The tarp, especially when you have a friend who can help, is a good way to mix up al this stuff by lifting at the edges methodically, raking a bit.

If it were just aphids, I’d say to get some hungry ladybugs. Not sure it’ll help with the other problems though. Any other friendly bug or pest eaters you can attract?

I do sometimes have green lacewings. I cant say I attract" them, but I certainly encourage them. So pretty! These are not my photos!
Adults Picture from Anatis Bioprotection

Eggs Picture from The Survival Gardener

Larvae Picture from Anatis Bioprotection

My garden…

6 Likes

That would describe my prior attempts well :joy:

But apparently tomatoes like me now.

1 Like