Quick trip to MidCoast/Portland Maine

Hi - we took a quick trip to MidCoast Maine to drop younger daughter off at camp. First stop was Moonbat City Baking Co. in Belfast Maine - this is seriously the bakery of my dreams. The owner, Michelle, is SO LOVELY and her baked goods are amazing. Only open Fri/Sat this summer. We had a delicious pecan scone, amazing veggie crostata, cinnamon roll, and older daughter loved the chocolate croissant.

Next stop was Primo in Rockland for dinner. Truly amazing. Best mussels we’ve ever had (local), salad with fried green tomatoes, bread course, unreal halibut, excellent veggie risotto, and older daughter loved her pasta. Wonderful desserts.

Great coffee next am at Rock City Cafe in Rockland. We got the last Ruckus Donut - strawberry rhubarb fritter. In Portland we had fantastic chips and guac and 3 types of tacos - fried zucchini, chicken, and brisket - at Terlingua. SUCH wonderful outdoor space. Soft serve at Honeypaw.

7 Likes

So glad they are open (if minimally) this summer! Thanks for letting us know! it is the bakery of my dreams too and they have really struggled with pandemic, staffing, etc.

Thanks for the rest of the report too, sounds like a very satisfactory short trip.

@GretchenS - these are for you! I told Michelle that I’d be back on a Thursday in late July to pick up my daughter at camp, and she apologized for not being open - my husband told her that I’d work for her if she would open! He wasn’t kidding!

4 Likes

I’m going to latch onto this for something a bit north of Portland: Mark and I will be celebrating our 50th anniversary with a trip to Bangor, Bar Harbor, Campobello (depending on border restrictions), and maybe Boothbay Harbor. Any recommendations for good places to eat in any of those? (We are not looking for super-expensive–$100 for the two of us [we don’t drink] would probably be the top.)

1 Like

Thank you for this! Will be headed to Belfast area at the end of September for Common Ground Fair in Unity. Definitely will be stopping at Moonbat , try whatever is available.

3 Likes