Question (stupid) re temp control

Yes, the O’Keefe & Merritt in my childhood home had circular grates with large gaps between the burners. As I recall they were a lot easier to clean (and lift) than some of the thick grates on more modern commercial cooktops, which are often a single continuous expanse of grates.

1 Like

The pan’s heat will flow primarily into your eggs, because they really can’t get >212F, and actually much lower. When the pan cools to the point that the Ceran is hotter, ALL the heat flows into your eggs.

You actually can put it this way: Will your eggs stop cooking instantly if you simply move the pan onto a glass sheet heated to 200F? Pretty clearly the answer is no.

In your case, there’s going to be a lot of carryover simply by virtue of your preference for thick encapsulated disk cookware.

But we’ll see. If G5 is very downwardly responsive when lifted, we can easily compare how much the added heat from the dead appliance lengthens the cooling times.

I think you’re confusing matters somewhat.

First, the glass never reaches 200°F when I’m cooking scrambled eggs, mostly because it makes imperfect contact with the pan (concave bottom) and also because it’s a short cook at moderate power (4-6)– only a few minutes at most. When I remove the pan from the cooktop I can hold my hand against the glass, no problem. The heat indicator on the cooktop doesn’t even illuminate.

Second, the type of cookware is the control; the cooktop is the variable. I’ve used the same 10" nonstick skillet (Anolon Nouvelle Copper) on a variety of gas and induction cooktops, and the difference has always been apparent. If I don’t want my eggs to overcook, I have to move the pan to an unused burner on the gas cooktop or plate them immediately. With induction, it makes no difference whether I leave the pan on the same burner or slide it to an unused one. Clearly, on induction whatever residual heat there is comes primarily from the pan itself.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m a little reluctant to discuss it because it’s such a find. It’s a decently sized cottage (2 bed, 2 bath) on a huge 250+ acre estate in County Kilkenny. When the owners of the estate are away, we have the run of the place – including the massive walled garden and all its produce. The kitchen is very well equipped, and it’s dog-friendly, too.

We’ve had some similar experiences to yours in Europe, with AirBnBs we’ve loved disappearing from listings after a year or two.

1 Like

In the spirit of, “Show me yours, I’ll show you mine”:

There are three double grates. I can lift them, happily, as they are mid-weight. Bosch series 800 slide in.

5 Likes

Nevermind. I’m sorry I engaged you on this. I’ll report my results, and you can do your usual.

After reading this thread, i realize we don’t have what is now considered a stove/range/cooktop, we have a campfire.

3 Likes

A now long in the tooth KA that just turned out two loaves for breakfasts, sweet corn, and Hatch crab cakes.

4 Likes