Queen Elizabeth II revokes independence of the United States of America

You’re a whole lot more expert than I. Growing up, nobody would believe that my grandma was a Brit. Her accent just didn’t say “Brit.” Love my Welshies.

Right, Bruv, innit. Now let’s nip down chippi and get us some lush haddock for us tea. Standard. And if ye ain’t skinnyen, yer lauster.

Everyone get that? So, which part of England claims correct spelling and pronunciation? Is the grammar part of that claim as well? :wink:

I’m in North Wales within a 40 minute drive and we often go - mainly just for the day but sometimes stopping over. The language/accent thing is weird and very localised. I used to work with a woman who commuted every day. She had what I would regard as a traditional Welsh accent but was English speaking . She said that around her, there were villages where Welsh was the first language and the next village would be English speaking. Even odder, most locals in the town we visit (Llandudno) have Manchester accents just like mine.

The spelling should be consistent unless someone was trying to make a point by writing a phonetic dialect version.

Pronunciation can be very different. Throughout the UK, accents can be very localised. The famous example was during the hunt for the serial killer known as the Yorkshire Ripper (I was interviewed by the cops - as a witness, not a suspect). Someone sent a taped message to the cops claiming to be the Ripper. Linguistics experts pinned the accent down to a very small area - a few hundred houses. They caught the Ripper but it was many years till they caught the guy who had sent the hoax message.

My friend Paul, who practices law in Kentucky, has another friend in my metro area. Paul says we have very different accents although both of us have lived here all our lives. He can understand me, if I don’t speak too quickly, but really struggles with the other guy. The other guy lives in the north of the area, while I’m in the south.

Apart from regional accents, I suppose one of the big distinctions between northerners and southerners is in how we pronounce some words containing the letter “A” - for instance “bath”. For northerners like me, it’s a short, hard “a” but for many southerners, it’s long and soft, so is pronounced “barth”.

1 Like

Where I’m from , MIlwaukee, there’s a major difference in accent just from north side to southside. I’m a southsider and my wife is Northside. People where I live always guess Brooklyn or Canada, because we “eh” a lot. “Eh” can start or end any sentence. That and we don’t pronounce our “th”, and opt for /d/ or /t/ instead. Dat’s why dey tink soutsiders are from Brooklyn.

I’ve heard “eh” much more as a parody of Canadian speech than actually coming out of the mouths of people here. It seems to be much more of a rural, old stock Canadiana word.

1 Like

Bob and Doug salute you :blush:

Beauty. :computer: :beers:

1 Like

I’ve never heard a Canadian say “eh.” Well Bob and Doug. Very common on Mwaukee’s soutside. My wife would never “eh.” I get a lot of crap for my “eh.” Still do it, though. Never gonna-break-a-my-stride!

1 Like

I will see your “ laboratory” and raise you an “aluminium”.
:face_with_raised_eyebrow: