Purging cooking magazines

The last time I did this, I got rid of epic Gourmet mags! I was banking on Epicurious, but it didn’t meet my expectations.

So far I’m planning to keep my remaining Gourmet, my Lucky Peach, and my Saveur. But I’m wondering about my Cooks, from before it was Cooks illustrated, and my “Cuisine” June 1984, volume 13, number 6.

I do it all the time, am still doing it (too many cookery mags and books). What I do: give to acquaintances, also give away when I send someone something in the post. Bring them on holidays and leave them behind at my lodging. Some go straight in the paper recycle bin.

I will keep most Australian and some Geman ones. Cookery books are a bit more painful to part with. Many are already gone, more will need to go one of these days. I aim to have a near empty house, the partner is a hoarder.

1 Like

I think the hubs would say I am the hoarder. He aims for an empty house, unless someone comes by, then it should look “nice”.

But why pay mortgage on aspirations of an empty house? Just pay for storage, no?

I didn’t include pictures.

For me the 80’s Bon Appétit were the best of the best. I first discovered it in the late 70’s with the chocolate dipped pineapple slice on the cover. Great Cook and Cooking Class were my favorite sections. Started buying Gourmet about the same time. Gourmet was good too and while I enjoyed the NY and CA restaurant reviews the rest of it just never bowled me over. I subscribed to several others over the years but none ever came close to 80’s BA imo.

What I did was take several to work and go through them all one last time…Then throw them out. After 30+ years. I did keep Julia Child’s BA (1984?) Thanksgiving in France for old time sake.

They just don’t make cooking magazines like they used to😊

2 Likes

I have hoarding genetics. Both sides my grandparents were so I totally get the idea of trying to be proactive about it.

1 Like

When was the last time you made a recipe from any of the cooks magazines? Or even went through them to look for something? I think if the answer is more than six months or a year then they’re not especially functional.
You could contact your local library and see if they would be interested if they’re in good condition.

2 Likes

I had to push a mound of them out of the way today, then I went through some to look for something. Then I made burgers. :grin:.

On the other hand, there was a reference to a very old one that I couldn’t find, and I really wish I still had it, so…

There are people who would want the magazines.

You could list on ebay. You could post on your local Freecycle. You could donate to a thrift shop (call first, not all of them accept magazines). If there is a local culinary school they may be of interest to the students.

1 Like

That’s just it. I can probably count on both hands the number of times I ever actually made anything out of the magazines. I just loved the photos, reading recipes, hearing the background of their lives. Living vicariously I suppose through people more culinary adventurous than me I guess😊

1 Like

I bring magazines to Dr offices and hair salons when my wife is done reading them. The employees always thank me. I just ask first if I can drop them off. I cut out any address references ahead of time.

1 Like

Ha! Mr n and me, we are both hoarders… worse, in different things. I have a lot of pain separating with things. Even these days magazines or books offer digital versions, half of them I still get the paper version.

I usually cook a few recipes from most of the magazines or books.

Need some spring cleaning soon, shelves are exploding.

1 Like

So…I seem to be hearing purging is a GOOD thing.

It reminds me though, that I once worked at a group home for non-violent juvenille offenders, and one of the young men loved to read Gourmet magazine, and cook for the other young men.

1 Like

@Miss_belle

Well, you know what they say about things “sparking joy” these days, ultimately that’s your call- there are certainly things i own and don’t use that i will never part with. My nyc apt demands that I’m ruthless with what i do own- i often decide via asking myself if i had to move next week would i pack this up and pay someone to move it and then ever unpack that box at a new apartment? If the answer is no then there you go.

2 Likes