Pueblo magico, new Mexican in Belford Middletown Nj

I am never really too impressed but it has been years so things could have changed.

1 Like

Are we talking about the same place? There is very little seafood on the menu I am looking at. In fact there are 2 appetizers (half stuffed avocado and ceviche) and shrimp fajitas.
…3 total
So they do have fajitas and very little seafood. I’m seeing the complete opposite of what you are saying lol. Are we talking about the janitos on Monmouth st?

Imo tinos and IMG are better than senor peppers. Just look at the clientel. Senor peppers will be mostly gringos. The others will be all latino.

Funny thing about Senor Pepper. I asked for either lengua or tripe tacos and he said they had it at the other restaurant they owned which was for Mexicans, lol.

I forget which other place is theirs but it’s a few blocks down.

1 Like

Ed, my apologies. I didn’t even realize you were brand new. Welcome to hungry onion. This is a great place and you will enjoy it. How did you find it?

Tom, I don’t mind senor peppers but with notb, tinos and img all a block or two away, I really don’t go there anymore.

1 Like

Tom – yes it has… still a bit North of the Border, but much better than the Chi-Chi’s and Chipotle’s and so on. I spent 12 years in Utah with very authentic Mexican food from a vibrant immigrant population and Juanitos is reasonably close…

1 Like

They are much better than most… and i was nicely surprised

I found it through google as I was trying to find when Pueblo Magico was going to open… And as a consumate foodie… this is great… just getting my feet wet here…

looks like I need to spend more Mexi-time in Red Bank…

2 Likes

Latest menu has a lot of Seafood … and all the specials were seafood the day I was there… and wow – the takeout menu has fajitas … interesting that I didn’t see them on the actual menu there… will have to check again next time… The other thing I noticed that is NOT usually in the ‘gringo’ places are Tamals… but now as I said, i have to make the rounds of Red Bank…

1 Like

If you like Al Pastor from a real trompo, start with IMG, or International Mexican Grocery.

2 Likes

Someone shared this to Facebook:

3 Likes

How interesting. Fries inside of the tacos?
I’m 3000 miles away or I’d try those !
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Here now… We got quac, choriqueso, Chile relleno, enchiladas, stuffed pepper… We will see. Bit of a soft opening but super friendly… Stand by for pictures and review… Is packed for 8pm…

2 Likes

OK. The good… This is not Tex-Mex with in your face heat and flavors. Nor is is bland Chipotles. It is nice subtle deep flavors like true Mexican home cooking.

The bad… Just not quite ready, my order was delivered lukewarm. And the cheese in the Choriqueso not fully bubbly melted. Same with my Chilr Relleno. Heat the to get that cheese melting and they would have been crazy good.

And yes, fries in the tacos… Mexican Fat Sandwich?? Lol but good… Or if toasty hot.

I will definitely be back… But after a couple weeks to get the knks out and the food steaming got. But a lot of promise.

4 Likes

Cool :sunglasses:

Fries in the sandwich is an NJ thing, and specifically a Rutgers thing… I’m pretty sure it started with the “Fat” sandwiches on the RU food trucks. I know I ate one once, but don’t remember much… because you ate those when you were leaving frat parties. :joy::roll_eyes:

3 Likes

From my view out here on the precipice, those are some wacky burritos :burrito::hot_pepper:
Corn? Cauliflower?
Ham?
And yet
the Pueblo sounds tremendous.
Weird.
:slight_smile:

Just hit this place today. Great experience. Review below:

There is a rule of thumb when critiquing or blogging about a restaurant that you never do it in the first month or two of a place’s opening. You certainly never do it when they are in their initial soft opening phase. However, my experience at Belford’s new Pueblo Magico was so outstanding that I could not resist publishing this. It was time this area got a touch of culture. I was excited when it was announced that a Mexican restaurant would be coming to the area, and even more so that it was going to be authentic and not the normal Tex-Mex stuff people are used to. For real Mexican food, one must search through pockets of Red Bank and Keyport. There was nothing in between, except now for Pueblo Magico, that is.

Upon first entering, you will see that the interior is festive and inviting. The paint on the walls, the tablecloths, and nic-nacs everywhere are bright and colorful, and help to transport you somewhere else while you are dining there. Even the plates and bowls which they serve food on are thick and pottery-based, evoking a true Mexican feel. The menu is a small one for now, which I am sure will change and expand when they have their official opening later this week. There is a brief assortment of appetizers, and some of the usuals like quesadillas and burritos. While these menu items would be universally recognized and accepted, there are some others which are more cultural (and more exciting, at least to me) such as pig trotters, cesina (a cured meat, usually beef), squash with pork rinds, and cactus salad.

|723x542

As an appetizer, Justin and I went with the “safe” order of guacamole. It came in a small crock along with a basket of homemade tortilla chips. They were fresh, thick, and crispy. While some would complain that they went unsalted, I rather enjoyed them the way they were. There was a naturalness to them. As for the guac, it was creamy and pure avocado—no tomatoes or diced onion. The combination of smooth and crunchy was pleasing to the senses.

|723x542

For meals, Justin went with the Companacion Magica. This contained roasted beef (which he substituted with grilled chicken), rice, beans, guacamole, cheese, pico de gallo, and a whole grilled onion. The aroma coming off of it was mouth-watering. While I thought his was an impressive looking dish, I was utterly blown away when my Chile Relleno arrived. This was a dish that I have wanted so badly to love over the years, and while I have had good renditions, none have ever come close to what this meal was about to do to me. The pepper was large and deep-fried. It was stuffed with cheese, and while I do not know which kind, it was thick and cubed. It held up to the heat and provided some chewiness (comparable to Haloumi) to go with the pepper that was tender and falling apart. There were additional tiny cubes of this cheese sprinkled on top, and it was covered with a red sauce. Comfort food at its finest. The beans and rice on the side were also delicious—the rice was perhaps the fluffiest I have ever had, and packed with so much flavor. This was as awesome a Mexican meal as you could ever hope to get, and I’ve eaten my way through Texas. It would be hard for me not to order the same thing the next time I visit Pueblo Magico, though the pig trotters might be calling my name.

|723x542

Both of our meals came with grilled corn tortillas. I had asked if the sauce on my Chile Relleno was spicy. Our server said it was not, but that she would bring me an additional homemade hot sauce on the side. This had a tiny bite to it, but was also full of flavor. The service was extremely pleasant, attentive, and informational. We asked if it was her family that owned the place, and she said it was (her aunt is the owner). The entire operation is a family affair. This shows in the quality of food they are cranking out so early into their operation. You really can taste the love and attention to detail in every bite. It took about 20 minutes for our food to arrive after we got the guac, meaning it was prepared upon our order, not just sitting in a steam table as is customary at too many Mexican restaurants.

|723x542

Soft openings are a chance to gradually introduce things to the public and work out the kinks. While it was not too busy when we were there (two or three tables taken), everything appeared to be under control. I have not one complaint about anything at all we experienced, from the service to the food to the pricing (our meals were $11 and $12). We both left stuffed, but not uncomfortably so. This was filling food, but not too heavy, which is an accomplishment. I feel like I cannot convey enough positivity toward Pueblo Magico in this review, so I have to suggest that you go and check this place out yourself. I am awarding them 4 out of 5 stars —you would never know they just opened up. They are already mastering their dishes, or at least the ones we tried. Best of luck to them on their venture. I cannot wait to return!

Pueblo Magico is located at 80 Leonardville Road in Belford, NJ.

Originally posted here on my blog.

9 Likes

Thxs for the detailed review Greg. I will def give the menu a try. The interior reminds me of Aby’s in Matawan. Not a fan of their menu.

1 Like

French fry poboys have been a thing in New Orleans for years and some consider it the original po boy “poor boy” sandwich.

2 Likes

I thought the interior looked a bit like Costa Chica.

2 Likes