Proposal for Regional Boards - format the title

That is what I do @Sasha for exactly the reason you point out.

Ok guys. Thanks for the hack.

2 Likes

I think I agree with what Sasha is proposing to a certain extend, at least I think it will be nice if members try to put the location on the title.

There is no staff in HO, mods are all volunteers and unpaid. I do feel it’s a minimum respect to lessen the load for the mods. I have to say the added location is more respected in the early days of HO than now.

5 Likes

I’ve pointed out the problem before, but nobody care to listen. How is it related to CH refugees may I ask?

2 Likes

I would also add that I think the vast majority of us posted on Chowhound, both before and after that site shut down. Hungry Onion was founded in response to dissatisfaction at CH; it didn’t just spring up out of nowhere. So naturally a lot of its “founding” users have a CH history.

2 Likes

Which is why in most of the boards when one create a new topic, there is a recommendation that users add the location of the restaurants to the title. With that said, its not a rule hence its more of a strong encouragement…

2 Likes

Attitude.
CH was pretty combative.
I like to feel like we’re Judy and Mickey putting on a play.
Perhaps naive on my part.

I just want to point out that this issue was pointed out at the beginning of the site back in 2015. This is not a new issue and hence the ‘suggestion’ was put in place back then.

2 Likes

I don’t see any linkage of this ask to any group of users, new or old. So let’s not go there.

This is a limitation of the software. If we want to group all the same types of discussions together, like we do in the front page, then you will have titles of the discussions only but not the category the discussions is in. Now the software has the ability to show the categories of each discussion, like here:

https://www.hungryonion.org/latest

or

But then all the discussions are ‘mixed’ together, regional and cooking, etc.

Neither is ideal.

Ideally we’ll have a little box in our front page to show the category of the discussions, but that suggestion to the devs wasn’t adopted. So here we are.

3 Likes

I agree it would be helpful to include the location in all regional topics. Like @bbqboy, I tend to enter the site on the “latest” page, which does show the region/category - mainly because I find the main homepage/ landing page to be less useful for how I navigate and browse the site.

I’m going to reach out to some of the Los Angeles area posters (I think that’s a board where you noted this issue frequently happening) and ask if they’ll consider changing how they word their topics to include location.

I’ll also try to be more cognizant of this in my own threads.

If people see others doing this it might become more of a standard practice. Maybe?

3 Likes