Prince Edward Island, Canada

I visited this area in September. We rented a house near Brackley Beach with a well equipped kitchen so most of our meals were prepared by us. It was hard to find recent info on food options so thought I’d post our limited finds here!

There were a few very basic grocery shops near our location - mainly good for milk, eggs, etc. Most of our shopping was done in Charlottetown at Sobeys. Their produce and seafood were quite good and they had a nice gluten free selection too. Plus a nice package store was nearby which made for a convenient stop. Closer to home we were quite happy with the seafood at Doiron Fisheries LTD. in North Rustico. They had some excellent locally smoked fish too. We were visiting off season and their daily selection was small but very fresh. I suspect in season the offerings would be wider.

I arrived too late to catch the Farmers Market in Charlottetown. Those who were able to go were pleased. The produce, breads and local eggs procured were quite good.

Few meals were taken at restaurants. Two of us explored the northern end of the island. We ate a mediocre lunch (lovely staff, reasonable rates) at a local place near the Canadian Potato Museum. The museum was interesting and the local potatoes were delicious!

Another meal out was a lobster roll at The Lobster Barn Pub and Eatery located in Victoria by the Sea. The lobster roll was generous and tasty made with what tasted like a sweetened mayonnaise dressing.

Closer to home we visited a very nice gallery with lovely gardens and an attached restaurant. I spoke with one of the owners as he was cutting flowers and he said the garden provided most of the vegetables for restaurant during the summer. I had hoped to lunch at The Dunes Studio Gallery & Cafe since the food and aroma from the kitchen was wonderful but never got the chance.

I was impressed how friendly and helpful folks were - especially since it was the end of the season and they were probably ready for some peace and quiet. Two of us were in the package store getting supplies. A man watched my companion pick out local beers. As we were paying the man approached us, introduced himself as the owner of the local brewery which produced the beers we had selected and gave us several other varieties as a gift!

The island has a quiet beauty with rolling hills and patch worked farmland inland. Self catering seems the best option unless you are staying in Charlottetown or want to do a bit of driving. Great place to indulge in lobster, clams, mussels, oysters and a variety of fish!

2 Likes