Potato Salad Musings

As a family of 1 these days, it isn’t complicated but certainly is time consuming,
and all that combined with the small quantity I’d eat means I never make it.
Your analysis of commercial salads (macaroni included) is spot on, as I fall in the same trap periodically and end up throwing most away.

1 Like

For us, family of two so not a lot bigger than yours, potato salad is often a bi-product. I find that cooked, boiled potatoes are a great fridge resource. I will boil up a slew of them, have some at dinner (mashed or smashed and fried), use some as cottage fries at breakfast, and nuke some, cubed, to make potato salad. I just douse the reheated potatoes + chopped onion with vinegar, let rest and proceed with usual potato salad routine.

1 Like

Agree with your assessment of most commercially made potato salads; there is also a problem with the texture of the potatoes usually.
I like your ideas for having potatoes at the ready for various things. Would certainly speed things up to have some chilled cooked potato cubes in your fridge.

1 Like

I agree. I used to make from scratch several times each summer, but I just don’t eat potatoes much anymore. (Which is too bad since I still grow them! )

Husband seems to like this one.

1 Like

Supermarket potato salad review in Mercury News

“Obviously, homemade is best. But when a picnic calls for potato salad and there’s just no time, there are plenty of supermarket options which, it turns out, vary dramatically in quality and taste…”

"Safeway Red, White & Bleu

Smokey, chewy bits of bacon, minimal mayonnaise and just a hint of blue cheese make this an interesting and irresistible alternative to traditional potato salad. Nutritional data not available. $4.99 per pound. (4 stars)

Raley’s Potato and Egg Salad

Fresh dill, crunchy bits of celery and large bites of egg make this creamy and well-seasoned salad a winner. Those who love mayonnaise might like the market’s “Fully Loaded” version. All of Raley’s salads are made fresh every three days — and they taste like it. A serving has 387 calories, 24 grams fat. $3.99 per pound. (4 stars)"

Reser’s is at the bottom with no stars.

2 Likes

I agree with one exception. I had some Costco potato salad at a friends house a few years ago that I thought was pretty darn good. I make mine like Retrospek described earlier in the thread and the Costco stuff comes pretty close to it. Maybe lacking a bit of pickle flavor. I could never go through a whole Costco sized container so I never buy it but if I needed to feed a crowd and was short on time I would consider buying it.

3 Likes

I think she went home for that one!

That is inspired! Great idea. Can’t wait to try it. I do like my potatoes sliced though, not sure why!

1 Like

just made a version of my mom’s for the 4th:

red potatoes skin on (she peeled hers); mayo and full fat greek yogurt (she used sour cream) thinned with red wine vinegar; minced shallot; celery seed. threw in some scallions and garnished with hard cooked egg.

2 Likes

That sounds intriguing. I always liked the hard boiled eggs laid on top as a garnish rather than mixed in.

1 Like

There were 6 kids in our family. My mother always garnished the top of her potato salad with sliced hard boiled eggs so she’d know if any of us tried to dig into it earlier than it was to be served.

9 Likes

Hah! I do this with paprika on hummus. But mostly to keep myself away from it.

3 Likes

Interesting, since my Grandpa Kuntz’s German Mennonite family recipe is actually a formula: One potato to one boiled egg to 1/4 onion, MAYONNAISE to bind. Better than a set recipe for a farm family, since it covers everything from a family lunch to a table full of field hands to a church social.

I will add some sour cream and maybe fresh dill, but never sweet pickles or bell pepper … though I am perfectly content to eat almost any potato salad offered, I stick to The Kuntz Canon in my kitchen. If I’m feeling lazy (as happens more frequently these days), I will buy Trader Joe’s potato salad (pretty close to mine,and the ONLY bought one that gets the potatoes right!) and bump it with egg and onion, plus a tad more mayonnaise.

1 Like

Boil sliced red potatoes & blanch green beans. Put in a bowl & add sliced red onions. The original recipe used a bottle of Wishbone Italian poured over while still hot. Any vinegar base dressing will work or your own or vinegar & oil & herbs. Good hot or cold.

4 Likes

This is one of the sweetest things I have ever read :sob:

5 Likes

I tried again recently, and I really detest store-bought potato salad. It must be homemade to be good. Something about extended refrigeration does not good things to those potatoes. And it’s always so soupy with mayonnaise. :face_vomiting:

I rarely make potato salad, but this is probably my favorite: http://www.finecooking.com/recipe/potato-salad-with-olives-scallions-garden-herbs

Either that or I’ve gotten it where maybe it was over-refrigerated and the mayo became kind of dry and lumpy.

Is the mint prominent or just a subtle addition?

Subtle!

1 Like