Potato chip flavors all over the world

Balenciaga flavored chips?? Nah, Lay’s handbags.

@ usd$1500 each. Betcha can’t have just one.

Pics off web.

2 Likes

I’m saving my calories for the Hermes Birkin potato chip bags.

4 Likes

I tried these last year. 6.5/10

They have Irvins at the 99 Ranch market here on the east coast. They still sell at a premium, but for a while I was asking my mom and sister to buy these back to me from Hong Kong, so this is an improvement. I really enjoy the salted egg yolk taste, but these chips often have a slight sweetness to them that I actually do not like. I prefer a more straight forward salted duck egg flavor. Their casava chips with the salted duck egg are great. And while I like salmon skin, I think mixing that with the salted duck egg is a bit of flavor overload. I wish they just kept it to either the salmon skin, or the salted duck egg chip.

Hi @kobuta - always nice to find someone else that enjoys this oddball snack. I haven’t tried the casava ones need to do that. Yeah they don’t travel well from asia if you like big chips. Nice that 99 Ranch has em and i’m seeing them more and more…still so damn pricy. I tend to favor the spicy versions, the “hot boom.” Do you have any thoughts on the old fish skin v the more common salmon skin now? there are few other brands too, stips and golden duck, i haven’t tried either one. at least pricy chips are still an affordable luxury.

I love crisped salmon fish skin, but to be honest I haven’t loved the salmon skin snacks that I’ve tried so far. It’s almost like too many competing flavor profiles. I much prefer regular crisped fish skins (whatever that kind is made of) without too much flavoring - maybe just a bit of spicy flavor. There are a few brands that I’ve found in the regular Chinese supermarkets over the years that are pretty good. Overall, while you don’t feel an oily chip, they do eat and sit a little greasy in my stomach so I have to stop and take a break after only a handful - I get the same reaction eating chicharrones.

There are even salmon skin chips at Costco these days, though I haven’t tried those and there are all sorts of keto-targeting snack chips with various fish skins and chicken skins. A friend bought a bag of chicken skin chips that were pretty good, but can’t remember the brand. I’ve tried the Golden Duck! That was one of the brands that I asked my sister to find in HK for me, and thought they were good and very similar in quality to the Irvin brand, but I’ve never seen that sold locally.

1 Like

I love the taste of those egg yolk salmon skin chips, but they always give me an upset stomach right after I eat them, even if it’s just a few chips.

Florida

7 Likes

Did you like them? They are definitely ham-flavored, and not my thing, but others in the family are fans.

Their truffle chips are good too, but again, more favored by other folks in the family.

I didn’t. Trying to be good. :rofl:

I wanted to try that line of chips, but they’re $7.50 at a local fancy foods place.

1 Like

And it’s a tiny bag

Only usd$5.50 in Singapore?? Pass.

Some flavors that probably won’t land on our shores.

Foie, caviar, truffles…???

1 Like

Not just curry fish, but curry fish head … just in case you didn’t notice.

Wait, what?

Crab fish have … skin??

Oh, I noticed. :slight_smile:

Looks like fish skin that’s fried (like chicarrones); I’m guessing that “black pepper crab” is a popular dish.

How could you not?

Notice how the eyes follow you around the room?

Had this recently, Nissan instant noodle (sesame) flavoured potato chips. Heavily spiced, but didn’t remind me of noodles, actually nor potatoes, although the chips were thick.

2 Likes

1 Like