positive UES developments

Across the Middle East and India too.
And yet, no Burp Tandoori Kitchen (maybe it’s a business opportunity)

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Sip Sak and Grand Sichuan were my go tos when I worked in that neighborhood. I also went to Angelo’s and Outback Steakhouse…lol

Never been to either, but noted!

Wondered why Daves Famous (Hot) chicken was on this list - I walked into the Park Slope unit the other day and it was full of kids eating expensive chicken tenders and “sliders” - chicken sandwiches made of same. Walked out again - wont catch me eating chicken tenders. Recently I also bought fried chicken from one of the new Korean places that have sprung up nearby- no sauce but the breading was somehow sweet - yuck!

I guess some of us are still kids at heart?

I love chicken tenders, and Korean FC too!

Have been meaning to try Dave’s for the buffalo cauliflower one of these days.

1 Like

I want to try the Cauliflower, too! There’s a Dave’s around the corner from my office.

that’s so funny jen, I walked into Famous Dave’s on the UES, had the same experience (kids eating expensive chicken tenders and sliders), and walked out. maybe I’m just getting old cause everything seems expensive. otoh, as I age, I don’t seem to recall what some things used to cost so they don’t seem expensive at all. :joy: :joy:

on the KFC front, I’ve come to realize there are a couple of different styles and the one I like is embodied by Mad for Chicken, Koko wings where the sauce is baked into the chicken. We ordered from CM chicken on the UES (could it really be $3/wing), they simply throw sauce on at the end and I hated it followed by the same experience at the well-reviewed turntable chicken in ktown, which I didn’t hate (the sauce itself was better) but won’t be trying again.

I had Popeyes chicken twice on toll roads my last (solo and fastmoving) run to and from Ohio. I didnt realize you could specify exactly which chicken part you wanted and get as many or few - getting a couple of spicy thighs and one of their biscuits was a pretty darn good meal for me (and the second thigh for Jim) on the way back. I did not resent the cost, at all. And they were cheaper than the other parts (as in the super market)!

After a couple more chicken meals at Peckin Chicken (on my corner) Ive decided that their chicken is just too heavily breaded and greasy for us. Its a shame because it tastes great, and their sides are excellent but that breading and grease is just too much of a good thing.

2 Likes

charlie moms finally closed and in its place, bestway kitchen opened, the Szechuan menu looks promising:

sadly Jen, popeyes now seems to be the best fried chicken in my family’s southern town, not because it’s bad, but because there used to be about five good, family-owned joints.

the popeyes app often has some good offers!

It is odd that we like so many of the same things but I find chicken tenders just ok. Perhaps I need to try them again.

1 Like

I dont go south frequently but I also haved tried to find the old fashioned country inns and family restos with fried chicken and all the sides when travelling. I think they need to be doing volume and change the oil often enough - it has been too frequent an experience that the chicken tasted like it was made with old oil or i the sameoil used for frying fish. The broasted chicken at some of the pennsylvania dutch places was probably the best, but we havent had any of that for a while.

Probably take out joints would have been a better option, but as you note the family places seem to be disappearing in favor of franchises.

1 Like

maybe I havent sampled the best korean fried chicken yet! Tenders didnt exist when I was a child (andnd chicken was still a relative luxury - as an adult, once I discovered bone -in thighs and started to cook, that was my chicken love.

1 Like

Have you – or any HU colleagues – tried the halva croissant at Michaeli Bakery? If that’s more of a meh, would y’all recommend anything else at that place?

I’m briefly in town, so figured it might be worth a Central Park diversion tomorrow.

Also, to hijack my own post, does anyone remember Pyramida? It started off on 78th St. by 1st Ave. in a really narrow shop (for those familiar with Tokyo but not this place, think Golden Gai), then expanded to somewhere I think on 2nd or 3rd a few blocks south. Didn’t stay in business there for long.

Anyway, I always had good meals there, and particularly enjoyed, besides everything, the cashew baklava.

I’ve had just about everything at Michaeli, the croissant is good, I find the well-regarded babka too sweet. My recommendation is that if you’re in the neighborhood, it worth a stop but I wouldn’t make a special trip for it.

if you decide to go to the one on the ues, pop into Aux Merveilleux de Fred on lex btw 86th and 87th, try their croissant, brioche, and Merveilleux, I thought it every bit as good as Parisian croissant and FWIW, this review called their croissant one of the best in NYC:

1 Like

Appreciate your insight, @vinouspleasure . Incidentally, I was just in Tokyo where there are also some good croissants; nevertheless, the halva croissant stands out because I have welcomed many a halva brick into the gullet.

By the way, given your username, have you tried amber wine? Not sure if it’s around the UES, but perhaps some Georgian spots in Brooklyn have it.

stopped by vietnaam at 88th and 2nd for the first time, they’ve been takeout since the pandemic, tried the lemongrass pork banh mi, the roll was soft but good lord, the pork was delicious, the sandwich was assertively spicy and the portion was massive.

loved it, looking forward to trying their other fillings.

Their curry noodle soup & fried spring rolls used to be good

1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: GOOD EATS NYC 2024 (A Blanket Thread)