Portugalia Marketplace Shines with Gem-like Tinned Seafood & More in Fall River, MA

Yes, had a good chuckle when Fall River and tourists were mentioned in the same breath!

4 Likes

My latest shopping cart from one of my favorite places in the state:

In addition to terrific canned fish and the equivalent of a bacalhao sommelier, they also have an extensive Portuguese wine collection and some hard-to-find bottles of liquor.

8 Likes

I have a good friend whose family is Cape Verdean, and his family cooks a lot of Portuguese food and incorporates a lot of Portuguese ingredients. He told me about this place a few years ago and he said this place is a must for his family and friends. Definitely not just a tourist stop.

7 Likes

Excellent! Wish I had known about this sooner.

1 Like

There were locals having desserts and fine coffee at the small tables, and older Portuguese men shopping, and women picking up prepared food for later at home. Didnā€™t seem like tourists to me. In fact, we were probably the only tourists there that day! And weā€™d only come for lunch and the shopping at Portugalia. I think the locals are probably proud and delighted to have this in their area and carrying items that they may have been missing from home.

Letā€™s encourage more of this type of reporting on Hungry Onion: ethnic markets, great food finds, and new or old places to find interesting foods.

11 Likes

Double wow! Since falling in love with Saltie Girl weā€™ve been on the prowl for good tinned fish. Looks like the jackpot is in Fall River.

4 Likes

I imagine you know this, but if youā€™re a fan of luxury tinned fish, haley.henry wine bar in DTX does really beautifully composed plates of it with good accompaniments (and was doing it before Saltie Girl).

5 Likes

Believe me, I sat back and looked at her text and my brain said ā€œWTH is she talking about?ā€ LOL

And thx, @SuzieCK for confirming what I had figured was the set-up for Portugalia: a locals place with others from ā€œoutsideā€ who have discovered the delights of Portugalia.

5 Likes

Aware, but have yet to try. My SO and daughter gravitate more toward Copley Square and Newbury Street. Iā€™m hoping to use a visit to the ballet or theater to steer my girls toward DTX and haley.henry.

1 Like

This made me really chuckle. I think we all have had a similar experience with non-food oriented family and friends of getting some off the wall objection to a food-related expedition. I remember dragging my sister and her family immediately pre-pandemic to a burger place I had heard about maybe 30 minutes from their house, my BIL complaining vociferously every two minutes as we drove past a McDs or Carlā€™s Jr. (ā€œwhy donā€™t we just get a burger there?ā€). Two bites into his burger he admitted heā€™d happily drive there again but I know it will not stop him complaining the next time. I have become really good at ignoring it.

I hope you will be undeterred about stopping at Portugalia during your planned antiquing trip!

7 Likes

Iā€™ll be driving down to her neck of the woods to go antiquing, so thereā€™s no issue with me NOT going to Portugalia! LOL

And to clarify - she LIKES food and enjoys trying different things while dining out. She doesnā€™t, however, like cooking all that much (or at least nowhere near as much as me) - so a place like this to pick up various items to try at home is not on her radar.

6 Likes

After this lively discussion, you know weā€™re gonna need to hear your observations about Portugalia if you do make that trip. :wink:

5 Likes

B and Spring Onion are in Fall River as I write this (while I am stuck inside working). They just had lunch at JJā€™s Coney Island Hot Dogs are now headed to Battleship Cove. I have a feeling that it will be difficult to convince SO to check out Portugalia afterwards, but B will try.

Edited to add: Speaking of Portuguese-leaning food, we had a very disappointing lunch yesterday at Jackā€™s in Warren, RI. I had heard good things. I donā€™t like posting negative reviews, which is why Iā€™m burying a mention here. Nice people, though.

4 Likes

Okā€¦the guys spent 3 hours at Battleship Cove. B was exhausted after spending 3 hours at the Providence Childrens Museum in the morning. So Portugalia was not in the cards today. Weā€™ll make it there in the near future. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

My husband loves naval stuff of all kinds. We love Rhode Island. I have three joint replacements and did not explore Battleship Cove with husband and son. I stayed in the car. They loved it! Son was younger then, and shorter. Heā€™s 6ā€™5" now so wonā€™t be a repeat visit for him.

When he was younger, we enjoyed the childrenā€™s museums so much. Boston, Providence, Portland, Actonā€¦there are many we all loved. Itā€™s worth checking out memberships because there are reciprocal privileges for some. They can be exhausting for both parent(s) and child, but rewards are, perhaps earlier/easier bedtime for all, and they are often near good food destinations.

3 Likes

For a split second I read "naval"as ā€œnasalā€ and thought ā€œwhat?ā€ But itā€™s all clear now. Carry on.

(We, too, enjoyed the Childrenā€™s Museum when our daughter was young, but had an opposite problem from you with your lanky son. Sheā€™s petite, and she once got stuck in the middle of the two-story 3-D maze they had there. We had to send in a tall child to rescue her.)

2 Likes

Sorry to hear this. I have fond memories of Jackā€™s. It was a favorite of my dadā€™s: http://mcslimjb.blogspot.com/2015/04/they-demolished-hilltop-but-they-cant.html

1 Like

If I may mildy and respectfully observe, I do think that pointing out the shortcomings of a place serves a very useful function. People who read food sites (which includes us posters but many more readers) look to whatā€™s written here for guidance.

3 Likes

I feel the same way. I totally see @fooddabblerā€™s point, but I just donā€™t like remembering and writing up the bad experience.

1 Like

One can always do it kindly and with grace, qualities that I might lack but which you and @digga have in abundance. Iā€™d also argue that you do the restaurant a favor by pointing out where they might improve. Were I running such a business, Iā€™d rather I knew what I might be doing wrong, than simply watch customers silently vanish. (This assumes, of course, that restaurant owners read food boards, and it isnā€™t clear to me that many of them do.)