Portland Maine

6 Likes

I’m heading up to Maine on Saturday for 8 days. Mostly in Biddeford and Damariscotta. Look for a full report with lots of pics! Looking forward to going deep into the Biddeford-Saco food scene especially.

4 Likes

Damariscotta: The Rooting Pig (just outside Damariscotta) is a must! Larson’s Lunch Box is not destination dining but always good for a quick bite. Barn Door Breakfast (where Crissy’s used to be) is very good for breakfast.

3 Likes

Thanks, I hadn’t heard of the Rooting Pig. Might do a crab roll at Larsen’s and a lobster roll at Lobster Haul in the center of town. And of course oysters at Shuck Station. Maybe pizza at Oysterhead, and more rolls down the road at Pemaquid Seafood. Love the area!

3 Likes

UGH! A disappointment. An annual “Best of Portland” awards list.

List starts out strong but then becomes overwhelming. It feels very much like the “Voted Best of XXXX” almost a scam things. (Salesman: “Hey, we’re doing a Best of Portland contest. For the low low price of $$$ we’ll make sure you’re a winner & get noted in the paper & receive a trophy plaque!”) And creative ways to ensure winners were thought of-- like “Best Eatery w/ a view of Peak’s Island” or some other unique criteria. Was really annoying since my employer & the contest company had almost the same company name & one of my jobs was making the plaques…and fielding angry calls when said contest never appeared.

Note I think Portlandoldport.com does a generally great job of keeping us up-to-date w/ local news & this is not an actual scam but it really needs editing!