Portland, Maine - need GF/Vegan provisions

Next month I’m off to PEI, Canada for a 2nd cooking retreat with some on-line friends. I’m driving and will pick up one person at the Portland airport. She is vegan and GF. We are planning to shop for provisions for her in Portland before we take a slow 2 day drive to the retreat.

I know she is hoping to find Miyoko’s Creamery butter. Great local products are a plus!

Besides groceries we hope to find some V/GF ready to eat items for the road such as stuffed grape leaves. Something easy to eat in the car or hotel at room temperature and delicious to boot. We will have some cooler space. A microwave might be available at night in hotels.

I haven’t been in this area since the late '80’s so have no idea if good GF/V options can be readily found once we are on the road.

Edit: On the road suggestions are welcome for meals! May be detouring to Mt. Desert Island.

Thanks!

if you are headed up the coast, the Good Tern Co-op in Rockland has GF stuff that is vouched for by my GF friend who also vouches for Sue Cakes in Belfast. I do not know if either of these is also vegan though. Belfast also has Chase’s Daily, a veg place that everyone loves. In general the Portland to Belfast coast area is a foodie paradise so I suspect you will have lots of options if you go the coastal route. Or if you are in fact going to MDI you can go up I-95 (faster than the coastal route) and cut over through Belfast.

I worked in Bar Harbor the summer of '89. Back then many restaurants closed after Labor Day. Sounds like this is no longer the case?! I’ve sent my friend a link to this thread. It’s great to have some ideas to start looking into. Thanks!

I had come across Local Sprouts Cooperative while reading about places that carried Morse’s sauerkraut. LSC looked like a good option for us once I’d picked her up at the airport around noon. I suspect we’ll both be hungry at that point. Thank you!