Portland Maine Breakfast & Lunch Spots 2022.

Mine, too. Have you spotted the Duckfat Frites Shack next to Oxbow brewing? (Outdoor only.)

I saw that last time I was up in Portland. Unfortunately they were closed for a special event. I’d like to grab an order of their duckfat fries the next time I’m in the area.

3 Likes

More places worthy of a try but not downtown

Punky’s-- for almost 10 years my job was across the street from when they were on Forest Ave. I’d go there at least once a week. Learned to go early-ish as the Shepherd’s & Chicken pies would be gone.

Rose Foods-- For bagels. I have not tried them but am reliably informed by other former NYC area residents that they are the best in the city. Unfortunately they don’t do Bialys which is a bummer. They also get good local press:

BreaLu Cafe-- for years they were just down the street from my job but had a devastating fire & relocated out to Westbrook. Always a good breakfast & burger:

https://brealucafe.com/

Rose Foods took over their building.

3 Likes

Yes I did :smiley:

There’s a new competitor for them in the Portland Public Market. Also a new Turkish Food stall just opened there too.

2 Likes

You had me at bagel. Going on my list.

1 Like

Curious if anyone has tried Bogushas Polish Restaurant & Deli?

After @WallaceReadsAlot’s recent post I was checking the map to see where Bruno’s is and noticed it nearby. The menu sure looks enticing (if you like Polish food, as I do).

1 Like

It’s a very small market with a couple tables. More of a market than a restaurant. Been around for a couple decades. Run by one woman so if you’re looking to eat in while other parties are checking out it can be a bit to get your food.

1 Like

It’s very close to us-- 10-15 min walk in good weather now. I have not tried her place yet though I want to. She got at least one fabulous gushing review some years ago along the lines of “…huge portions, so good, so cheap…”. Sorry I don’t have a link. It’s a tiny place & her style is to serve you what she’s been making. I’m a bit Leary of that-- 2 flavors I absolutely can not stand that can be featured heavily in Eastern Euro cooking-- Green Pepper & Caraway Seed… but it did/does look like there are safe things for me.

Two other pretty close places to her place already recommended:

Poor Boy’s & Pickles & Susan’s Fish & Chips

Further down Forest Ave heading into town is

Ginza Town, Japanese, got a nice write-up for its Shabu Shabu & its sushi. (I don’t do sushi). Right next door to it is a brand new Falafel place that took over the former Papa John’s.

Found one of the write-ups for Bogusha’s:

http://thebollard.com/2015/11/05/fifty-dollar-dinner-6/

It’s not the gushing review but does make you want to try. She must be doing something right is my take on her place.

2 Likes

Yes, her longevity speaks for itself. Thanks both!!

1 Like

Great post, Maine runs on brekky! I will vouch for Becky’s, Rose Foods, and Hot Suppa! Still trying to get to Marcy’s and Dutch’s – maybe this summer.

For baked goods: Standard Baking Company, Belleville Bakery, Scratch (SoPo) just to name a few faves.

5 Likes

Welcome @BobfromRIinVA!

2 Likes

Indeed! He is one of my favorite 'Hounds! Welcome @BobfromRIinVA. Great to see you again.

2 Likes

Thanks digga im feeling the love!

1 Like

welcome @BobfromRIinVA the influx of CH’ers is a great development. Looking forward to all of the food insights you have to share!

3 Likes

it sure is!

3 Likes

Thanks Max! I like to think I can at least offer some insights into lesser-known parts of Maine. (I.e., not Portland or Bar Harbor)

3 Likes

We never made it to your brother’s pizza joint. Is it still around (if I’m remembering correctly)?

1 Like

Sadly no — he had to give it up when life got too complicated. However, he still has the oven and is looking at starting a food truck in the Providence area where he lives. Also, his old house at 168 Main St in Belgrade Lakes is now the Seven Lakes Inn, a wonderful B&B.

2 Likes

I’ve been so silly-busy with work and unfortunately, it’s coincided with the CH closure so I haven’t been able to comb through and try to save some favorite posts (particularly all my trip reports to Southeast Asia). I find myself staring at the Wayback Machine and not knowing how to proceed.

Anyway, @BobfromRIinVA, I came across a really fun thread about RI Specialties (I was “a l i c e” back then). I’m going to save it when I fire up my desktop. Re-reading it, I realized that I made a typo when giving my pronunciation of “quahog.”I don’t say “qwa-hog,” I say “qaw-hog.” Doh!

RI Specialties CH thread

1 Like

We’re heading down to RI right now. Spotted on 95S (it’s St. Joseph’s Day).

5 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like