PORTIONS In Usa verses Portions in Spain

Umm… no. Not how it works.

3 Likes

It was just a special challenge, not a misunderstanding. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m still trying to work out what I’d be putting in all 11 compartments, right shape or not.

I’m assuming the large compartment would be for rice. And the four square ones, on the sides, for assorted curries/daals. Which still leaves me with six to fill. I assume a chutney and a raita fill two. And another three by, say, chopped onion, chilli and coriander. And another is probably something sweet.

Once I’ve been tempted to get the metal version with lesser compartments though. But Harters’ right that filling the compartments is a challenge. One needs to have 11 different preparations to fill in that plastic tray. :laughing:

A whole different approach to elevenses :laughing:

1 Like

Those plates are a not entirely welcome remembrance of school cafeterias and the military.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

… and this for the Salisbury steak holes discussion.
:smiley:

2 Likes

Restaurants near me serve thalis either on a rectangular metal tray with compartments, or in small metal dishes on a round metal tray.

The rectangular ones always remind me of those you see in prison movies, where the prisoners always start banging them, prior to a riot starting.

2 Likes

And, if you’re wanting something a bit different to hold your curry, you maybe want “bunny chow”.

You’d be looking at a hollowed out loaf filled with curry. A speciality of Durban, South Africa.

2 Likes

I actually quite dislike the metal and porcelain ones available for home use - I’d rather have a large plate with small bowls.

Let’s see if I can come up with something to put in the 11 indentation plate (that would be for a festive occasion, not everyday).

• Rice dish - plain/pulao/biryani
  • “Bread” - chapati/puri/naan
  • Something sweet, dry
  • Something sweet, wet (dessert comes later)
  • 2-3x Something raw (kachumber/salad)
  • 2-3x Something snacky (farsan) - fried dumplings or fritters or bhajiya/tempura or dhokla/steamed rice/lentil cakes and so on
  • Dal or kadhi
  • Some type of beans
  • 2-4x Vegetables
  • Pickles and Chutneys (Indian meaning, not western)
  • Papads

Yeah, at a festive meal you have to double-use some of the 11, and be strategic about what you use the large vs small containers for, and where you can “pile.”

5 Likes

In general, I’m usually not hot with metallic serving wares like bowls or plates, actually they remind me of hospital as well.

3 Likes

Looks like those 1960s frozen T.V. dinner trays with compartments (but empty) that they showed on black and white T.V. !!

Oh my !!! And they are plastic !!!

1 Like

I am quite sure I would never use those for a meal but they look very handy to measure out spices/set my mise en place. For some recipes I don’t think there would be enough compartments.

1 Like

Barca the originals were gold, then silver, now stainless steel - which is still what’s used in India.
(Pic from the internet)

What I posted earlier are disposable plates that I’ve seen used in the USA at outdoor events or casual functions.

6 Likes

I love this every time I see it, because I pronounce it in English. The next step after getting your ducks in a row is to get your mice in place. :smile:

(See how they run! :slightly_smiling_face: )

2 Likes

I always thought they had holes so they could save money (ie, less beef per patty).

2 Likes

I’m sure that had also occurred to them - though the idea that they cook better this way does seem plausible.

1 Like

Tell your husband the redder the better.

1 Like

Much more eye appeal in my opinion …

Have a nice weekend …

1 Like

I use this

![

nearly every day.

2 Likes