Porta , Asbury Park

I was a regular at Porta 5 years ago. Then they priced themselves out of my lunch/dinner rotation.

2 Likes

Yes, theyā€™ve jumped (just like everyone else)ā€¦ I think the octopus is now $35, which really makes me sad. That said, their salad portions are still huge (and excellent), and the food has remained consistently good since they opened.

@Ragtopssk My go to is generally the broccoli rabe, salad (if there are people to share), and those meatballsā€¦ Definitely enough to choose from without ordering pizza! And Iā€™m not shy about taking home leftovers if there are any!

2 Likes

I remember first going there not long after they opened and they would refuse to do to go orders because it ā€œtook away from the experienceā€. Now I see they are doing Superbowl packages you can order and pick up and since Covid you can order to go.

I havenā€™t been there in a few months because I got cut off one night sitting at the bar because they felt I was over served and I refuse to go there since.

But the food is always good and I miss the octopus even though itā€™s priced the way it is

1 Like

Thatā€™s exactly the flavor profile of my broccoli rabe. The only difference is I usually add a small bit of Calabrian Chiles for some heat.

@CurlzNJ I havenā€™t been to Porta in ages. But I need to get there. Iā€™d probably skip the octopus salad at $35 when I can make the salad sans octopus for the family for about $5.

1 Like

Always loved the pizza & house red wine, the octopus was always part of my meal Not much of a salad eater but I do love broccoli rabe
Might just have to get down there the end of this month

1 Like

Let me clarify my comment a small bit. Itā€™s not really about the cost - itā€™s about the VALUE or lack thereof. Their value equation no longer works for me.

4 Likes

Well one of my original critiques of Porta is why would I go pay $ 12-$15 for a personal pie, when I can buy a drink and get one for free at Johnny Macā€™s. lol (Talking about value, obviously a world of difference in quality, but Johnny Macā€™s ainā€™t too bad for a free pie)

The broccoli rabeā€™ was $ 14. which isnā€™t cheap for a side dish at a non-steakhouse, however honestly it was well worth it. (well worth it enough to try one or two more times before I make it myself lol)

3 Likes

No question that Johnny Mackā€™s is a super value but that pizza makes Elioā€™s or Tombstone taste like ( insert your favorite here) lol

1 Like

Super value? Wouldnā€™t be to me. A great pizza for cheap is a value; a cheap pizza for cheap is just a bad pie.

It depends on what side of 1 a. m . it is and it is all about absorbing alcohol Not about dinner. Lol

2 Likes

Iā€™ve only had it a few times, but I remember being pleased with it, especially given the price. I expected an Elioā€™s slice, but they had a guy there rolling out fresh dough balls and making the pizzas to order. If I recall correctly toppings are $1.00

Not sure if you ever went to their Sunday brunch, but their omelets arenā€™t that bad either.

1 Like

Never did the Sunday Brunch, in my previous post I stated it was the perfect solution for post 1a.m. hunger, I probably would have eaten cardboard parmigiana most times I was in there so any criticism of the pies should be taken under advisement. It was an easy solution to a problem

1 Like