Porta , Asbury Park

Lol. Micah Jasper. He is finishing up a gig playing guitar for Gnash on tour. I prefer his own music so I didn’t mind missing the show.

No kidding, I saw him play at Austin’s SXSW Festival. :+1:

2 Likes

I’d probably nosh at Porta than mosh with Gnash as well, but congrats to Micah…it’s a tough business and the summer stage at The Pony isn’t for the amateurs!

3 Likes

I suddenly found myself at Porta last night…we were at the bar eating and drinking for over 3 hours. LOCAL SUMMER is here on weekdays!

2 Likes

You sound like me explaining to Mrs. NotJr how I came home smelling like Love Spell VS and I have glitter in my beard…" I suddenly found myself at…"

4 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::two_hearts:

2 Likes

Took this picture two hours ago. Finished the dish 1:55 hours ago. Had been way too long since we’d been there last, and it was the same charred tender deliciousness as always!

8 Likes

Looks delicious :yum:

1 Like

Good grief that looks great!

2 Likes

There was also this.

4 Likes

Now you’re killing me. Gotta head over soon.

2 Likes

Salumi e formaggi !?! My favorite

1 Like

MY FAVORITE! :octopus::octopus::octopus:

(More words because this won’t post) cc: @hungryonion

2 Likes

Why are you sporting a covid 19 mask in August 2018? You certainly are a forward thinker. :crazy_face: :christmas_tree: :christmas_tree: :christmas_tree: :crazy_face:

1 Like

We order the Octopus Salad every single time we go to Porta, and we’ve been going to for at least 8 years (a friend of The Sprout had a Sweet 16 party there). We like it so much I taught myself how to make a reasonable facsimile.

4 Likes

I apologize in advance if this is already public knowledge and/or posted somewhere else but I just found out today that Porta does delivery!?!?! (and to my area which isn’t around the block) Even though I’m not the biggest fan, I certainly would enjoy it even if just for a change of pace. So I apologize if I’m a dolt and this isn’t really news, (ok so regardless if this is news or not we all know I’m a dolt) but it was news to me so I’m sharing.

It’s a pandemic I’m bored sue me!! Haha can’t courts are still closed!!

7 Likes

Update! Turns out Porta doesn’t actually deliver, it’s just DoorDash which is a bit disappointing. I’ve had some mixed experiences with DoorDash and personally I’m not a big fan.

4 Likes

I’ll tell you this much, I’m not a big fan of the Porta brand, but that is strictly because of personal reasons. Anytime I have been there the food has been good and the environment is certainly pleasing, this week I had a lunch meeting and my guest requested lunch at Porta. I agreed because again my animosity is personal/professional, NOT against their product. I decided for sh*ts and giggles to try their broccoli rabe’ appetizer as lunch.

It was so bizarrely described; Broccoli rabe’ with olive, pine nuts, raisins (white) and capers. With that combination I was truly expecting Porta to fail, and I could have my; “see I told you so” moment.
Let me tell you what, that was quite honestly the BEST broccoli rabe’ I have ever had. I have no idea who or how they came up with that combination, similar to Butcher Block brussels sprouts and captain crunch, I don’t know how, but it works.

So good myself and my lunch companion ( we shared it and shared an order of meatballs which was pretty good too) took an order each to go. Amazing.

I will probably go back now just to try that again, also similar to Butchers Block I’m going to be working on this recipe at home.

Give credit when and where it’s due, in this case Porta knocks it out of the park with that is usually a pungent vegetable.

9 Likes

Completely concur… It’s the best addition to the menu in the last couple of years! I’m 99% sure it’s a Sicilian prep because it involves green olives, capers, and pistachios… I’m wondering if @MsBean has had it— she’s great at figuring out restaurant dishes, and re-creating them at home!

3 Likes

Although I am off pizza & not a big fan of vegetables this broccoli rabe preparation sounds like I will need to make a trip down there sometime soon
Thanks for the suggestion

2 Likes