Port Chester, NY in Westchester County

If you’ll indulge a bit of nostalgia, Port Chester back in the 1950’s -1960’s was Tiajuana east. It was the first town you encountered traveling west on I-95 once you left CT (Greenwich). The drinking age in NY was 18 while it was 21 in CT, so every weekend night there would be an exodus out of CT to PC. I think I read that back then there were over 100 bars that catered just to this under 21 crowd. It was great but very dangerous. This predated all the emphasis on underage drunk driving so even if you were pulled over loaded for driving erratically, the cops would usually just make someone less drunk drive. It was a great time in my life, perhaps the greatest. One place we liked to frequent that I see is still in business is Marianacci’s Sherman Street Tavern, a neighborhood joint off South Regent Street. They’ve gone upmarket over the years. We used to skip school (Stamford, CT) and have lunch there among the old timers drinking their shots and beers. I think the drafts were 15 or 20 cents. We played shuffleboard bowling and ate meatball wedges (AKA: Grinders, Hoagies). Ah ,to be 17 again!
http://www.marianaccis.com/

5 Likes

:heart: nostalgia
loved this post … TY

Great post…sounds like it was a blast!

Same here! Please keep posts like this coming. They’re great. :slight_smile:

Nostalgia: The winter '81 through summer '81 the year after I graduated high school, I worked a second job in the evenings at United Hospital in PC, sterilizing instruments and delivering them to surgery. (Days I worked liquor sales) There were a ton of inexpensive places within walking distance for lunch/dinner. Mexican, Italian, Pubs for brews and burgers, etc. Although the employee cafeteria was actually excellent. Looking back, I don’t know how I survived two, different, full time jobs. But hey, I was 18, who needed sleep. That’s what all those chemicals were for.

In my late teens and early 20’s I remember going to the Rock club, Detroit’s, across from the hospital. I think it was called Happy Days before Detroit’s? Had some amazing times there. Became friends with Dee Snyder and the rest of Twisted Sister. Then it became 21 North, which I think started as a rock club, then became an 80’s dance club. I also went to the Capitol Theater a lot for rock concerts (mostly heavy metal, but also Frank Zappa) and comedy shows. Saw Richard Prior there, and George Carlin.

3 Likes

Yes, to so much of what is in your post!