Pork Belly Recipes

Last night I started out with therecipe again

When I tried this last spring, it burned under my broiler. (see above) My fault; I wasn’t paying enough attention to the recipe

This morning I got curious about using an air fryer. I found a wide array of cooking temperatures, and thought this one from “Ms. Shi and Mr. He” looked interesting.

Anyone tried their recipes? Anyone made a successful crispy roast pork belly recipe in an air fryer? What temps did you use?

I’m done…I think. Finished under a low broiler.

ETA The crunch on the skin was perfect, the flavor and doneness, tenderness on the meat was perfect! Unfortunately it remained a bit salty, and the richness of the fat layer made it hard to eat as much as I wanted to.

2 Likes

Looks fantastic! That’s pretty even broiling!

Good problem :yum::joy:

1 Like

Looks great! I prefer not to bake with a salt crust as I think the results are better and no risk of saltiness that way, which I’ve experienced. If I do salt on the skin I do it beforehand and take it off before it goes in the oven.

And I usually bake it for like 45 minutes to an hour before broiling because I like it more tender (this holds true when I get this from Chinese places— my favorite ones are more tender than some other places that have a noticeably firmer texture). It’s still pretty fatty, but less so than when done at the short cooking times that some recipes call for.
I like to use leftover for stir-fried crispy pork with Chinese broccoli. Even if it’s salty it doesn’t matter much in this dish.

I am not a fan of using baking soda on meat for stir fries, but on pork belly skin I don’t mind it and this method produces such a good result. The seasoning comes out perfect (though I tend to add a little rice wine and sugar). I CAN taste the soda a bit. There’s a certain toastiness to the flavor. It is not unpleasant, though, as I find it when used in large amounts (and by large I mean more than 1/4 tsp per pound or so) on meat that is stir-fried.

This guy tested a few different methods

I really like the seasoning on the meat for this one

Here’s Pai not doing salt crust:

I think boiling is so much easier, though. Poking holes through the skin is much easier when you’ve boiled it first.

4 Likes